2009 Territory quarter lamination

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Autumn1, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Autumn1

Autumn1 New Member

Hi,
    I found this 2009 Northern Mariana Island quarter and noticed what looks to be a lamination error in quite a few spots on the reverse. It's hard to get a good image but there are spots around the birds, half of the tower and some by the center palm tree. I've been searching and haven't found any info on this. Is anyone familiar with any of these coins? Does it add any value to the coin? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Autumn
    IMG_0329.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pete Apple

Pete Apple Well-Known Member

Without close up photos, hard to see. Prevelant on ATB and other recent quarters is this:

Quarter Struck Through Rearranging Foreign Material

Mike Diamond “…this would be a "struck-through" error in which the foreign material on the die face was constantly rearranging itself through the press run.

Ken Potter: “Mike Diamond's position is not a theory but a well-known fact. It is exactly what he says it is. It does not need to be researched any further. Offending material like this can stay within a pair of dies shifting around for hundreds of strikes at times.”

Quarter Struck Through rearranging.jpg

A clad lamination is possible, but not common:

http://www.error-ref.com/laminations-in-clad-coins/

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It could be a lamination but the phot gets blurry when I blow it up. It looks like a small amount of displaced metal so it could also be damaged.

Can you post clearer photos and crop out the background? Welcome to CT.

5. Autumn1

Autumn1 New Member

Yes, trying to get better pics! I've got a few more I just took and one looks great on the zoom. Hopefully this is better. The area above the larger bird on the left end of the defect is raised slightly. The color of the coin is different in those areas. The coin itself is a slightly pale gold tone to it just as the other territory coins I have. Thanks for the rapid responses! IMG_0337.JPG

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Thanks for the better photo. This looks like PMD or damage. The metal appears to have taken a hit and moved from left to right in a downward motion. It looks gouged with the extra metal piling up at the base of the groove.

Draft saved Draft deleted