2009 SF mints PCGS graded

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Stefanie Gentle, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Stefanie Gentle

Stefanie Gentle New Member

I recently received my first graded order from PCGS, and all of my coins graded out as either 67, 67+, 68, and my D dime is a 69. I want to know what (informed) people think that I should do with them. Unfortunately, I don’t think they’re worth very much. Should I try to consign them, or do you think it’d even be worth my time? Thanks in advance!

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

First of all , here's a big ole Welcome ! :)
    How much are you in for on each coin ? Why are you trying to get rid of them ? Are looking to donate them ?

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood, Stef!

I'm confused. Are all of the coins from the San Francisco Mint except the dime? Are the rest proof coins? Do you have photos of them?

5. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Photos would help us give better opinions. Thank you if you post the pics.

spirityoda likes this.
  6. Stefanie Gentle

Attached Files:

7. Stefanie Gentle

I hope these help. I just quickly took pics of each of them, so I’m well aware that they’re not very good. Thanks for your advice and opinions!!!

8. Stefanie Gentle

No, they’re not proof coins; they’re special-finish mints. ‍♀️ I’m relatively new to all of this, and I actually didn’t realize that their was a difference between these and the regular business strikes (until I got them back and saw that they’re the SF type.

9. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Why would satin finish coins get a Specimen grade? But anyway, they're lovely!

Stefanie Gentle likes this.
  10. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I guess the question was what to do with them . Contest , gift , donate to youth group ( not in any particular order ) for prize .;)
    Very Nice Coins ! JMHO . Thanks for sharing .

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Okay! Now I understand. They are part of the program the Mint created in 2005 to issue the "Satin Mint Sets" instead of "Uncirculated Mint Sets". The grades assigned for these coins by each TPG used the prefix "SP" instead of "MS" or "PF". As far as processing these sets goes, each coin was handled with kid gloves somewhat similar to the processing given proof coins. Unfortunately, the SMS program turned out to be a bust and was discontinued after 2010.

12. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

to differentiate the Satin Finish coins from the mint sets from the business strikes clearly in the holders.

It's to avoid people misrepresenting the mint set coins as high grade business strikes to novices, the values between the two finishes are far apart in the high grades.

manny9655 likes this.
  13. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

the mint set cents are the 95% copper old composition ones, they are really nice.

those cents in those grades, probably sells on ebay around $20 each, maybe a little more depending on when it sells and what else there is. same goes for them all, except the SP67 dime, which likely sells for less than $20, I don't find sold listing for an SP67FB. SP68FBs sell for like $20. figure each one is about $20 on average each, except for the SP67 which isnt' gonna be too good. The 2009 P roosevelt in SP68 sells for about $10. a lot of them graded out at SP69FB. even those sell for around $20 at SP69.

For comparison the 2009-P business strike roosevelt dime in MS65FB sells for 30 and it just goes up from there, PCGS shows 9 graded at MS67FB and none higher one of those MS67FB would probably sell for a few hundred dollars I'd think. $300-400.

Would not be worth consigning, I don't think most auction houses would even handle them.

14. Stefanie Gentle

Thanks so much for all of your research!!!

15. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the photos.

Draft saved Draft deleted