2009 Proof A.S.E. now on sale

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Park Qtrs, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Park Qtrs

Park Qtrs America the Beautiful

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jerms

Jerms Member

The US Mint never made proofs for 2009. These are modified pieces of genuine 2009 bullion coins by Daniel Carr. As far as worth buying, personally, I don't think so. Modified coins will always be modified coins to me.

4. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

+1.

Doesn't that borderline on fraudulently altering a coin? Stating that it's a proof(oh, but not really!!)?

5. Jerms

Jerms Member

I would believe so. Even though it's sorta "innocently" re-stamping what the coin was to begin with, they are still creating their own dies to act as genuine US dollars technically (and I'm pretty sure that isn't legal).

6. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

7. Copper Head

Copper Head Active Member

I would run, not walk, away from that coin.

8. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Have you ever been sold a bill of goods ?

9. justndav76

justndav76 Member

I, too, think the idea behind this coin is questionable. It is certainly possibly the gov't could come along somewhere down the line and seize these as being fakes and this dude could get in some serious trouble if he's not careful.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It isn't.

Title 18 Chapter 25 Sec 485

Whoever falsely makes, forges, or counterfeits any coin or bar in resemblance or similitude of any coin of a denomination higher than 5 cents or any gold or silver bar coined or stamped at any mint or assay office of the United States, or in resemblance or similitude of any foreign gold or silver coin current in the United States or in actual use and circulation as money within the United States; or
    Whoever passes, utters, publishes, sells, possesses, or brings into the United States any false, forged, or counterfeit coin or bar, knowing the same to be false, forged, or counterfeit, with intent to defraud any body politic or corporate, or any person, or attempts the commission of any offense described in this paragraph—
    Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than fifteen years, or both.

Sec 487

Whoever, without lawful authority, makes any die, hub, or mold, or any part thereof, either of steel or plaster, or any other substance, in likeness or similitude, as to the design or the inscription thereon, of any die, hub, or mold designated for the coining or making of any of the genuine gold, silver, nickel, bronze, copper, or other coins coined at the mints of the United States; or
    Whoever, without lawful authority, possesses any such die, hub, or mold, or any part thereof, or permits the same to be used for or in aid of the counterfeiting of any such coins of the United States—
    Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than fifteen years, or both.

Sec 489

Whoever, within the United States, makes or brings therein from any foreign country, or possesses with intent to sell, give away, or in any other manner uses the same, except under authority of the Secretary of the Treasury or other proper officer of the United States, any token, disk, or device in the likeness or similitude as to design, color, or the inscription thereon of any of the coins of the United States or of any foreign country issued as money, either under the authority of the United States or under the authority of any foreign government shall be fined under this title.

It seems to me that Sec 485 makes the creation of these "restrikes" illegal, Sec 487 make the creation and possession of the dies illegal, and Sec 489 makes their creation and sale illegal.

11. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Evidently HSN, a nationally known Television broadcaster, and their attorney's don't agree with your assessments regarding legality.

The coins themselves are 2009 SAE's restruck using a proof manufacturing process and as such is no different than polishing up a 2009 SAE.

Besides, he's not using a privately made planchet which would require government certification on the alloy, he using government certified planchets in the form of 2009 SAEs.

The overstrike is obvious as things such as die rotation cannot be simulated. The end result is that there are definite overstruck areas. Up close, the coin looks, well, overstruck with a higher than normal rim.

I bought one for the pure novelty of it as doing restrike's is nothing new in the coin collecting arena. (Refer to the New Haven FUGIO restrikes of the mid 1800's)

12. I cannot imagine these being rare at all, as they could just keep making them as needed. TC

13. Jerms

Jerms Member

I wonder what effect it will have on the buyers, if the government does goes after the parties involved in the re-manufacturing of legal tender coins. (cue door busting open, agents swarming in) :hail:

14. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

No they are not rare just expensive to make since they do involve real silver eagle planchets.

As I stated earlier, I just cannot see where the legal team for HSN would not have said something about this if they considered it to be an illegal activity.

But, as with anything related to coin collecting, only time will tell.

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I thought Daniel Carr was better than that. He's buying into this sham? Shame .......

16. Luke1988

Luke1988 New Member

I wonder if a enough of these get made if it will make normal 2009s rare?

17. krispy

krispy krispy

r u serious??? :rolleyes:

18. Jerms

Jerms Member

I highly doubt that. After all, 2009 is one of the highest mintages I believe (30+ million?). They'll probably make 2,000 or so (just guessing).

19. sgiorgis

sgiorgis Student of Numismatics

I agree 100%. Great Novelty Coin to go with my Silver Centennial proofs of Oregon Cities, but I would NOT put in my Dansco ASE album

20. Evom777

Evom777 Make mine .999

I agree with sgiorgis.....this coin is a novelty. Maybe it`s worth every penny to somebody, and merely spot value to others.

21. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes and I think Carr will continue making them as long as they sell!!. I have never come across mintage numbers on these and I don't think he has them on his website so it makes me think that these were made specifically for HSN!! In my mind, that cheapens Carr's artistry a bit. As an example I will use an analogy! Used to be he sold his art work only at Macy's and now Kmart sells his work as well, JMHO!! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted