2009 P Partial Clipped Half Dollar Error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Imnotsure, Sep 23, 2017.

?

Is this an Error worth good money?

1. YES

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NO

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Imnotsure

Imnotsure Member

Found this 2009 P half dollar coin roll hunting, not realizing that it had a partially clipped edge until later. I've tried to do some research on this coin, however I could not find anything on it. Could use some help identifying this coin.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Can you provide more close up photos of the area you think is clipped? I've never seen a clip that remained on the coin. I'm skeptical but want to see more.

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It looks like post mint damage (PMD). The reeding looks like it was struck as a normal coin.

Seattlite86 and paddyman98 like this.
  5. Imnotsure

Imnotsure Member

here's some more detailed photos

Attached Files:

6. Imnotsure

Imnotsure Member

I know it looks like it would be PMD however what leads me to believe that it's not is that the inside (where it looks like it was clipped) is completely smooth and shinny and not at all jagged.

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The reeding would not look like that if it was struck in a collar, If a partially clip made it into the die, it wouldn't be pulled/bulged out and the top of the remnant wouldn't be below the surface of the reverse. In addition, it looks there is some flattening along the rim on the obverse hard to say for certain from your pics), which indicates a mechanical impact.

Looks more like it got hit with some sort of core punch after it left the mint. Strange sort of damage, but still damage

8. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I wonder if this coin was in a Mint Set. I've seen something similar on coins from mints sets that were damaged in the sealing process.

9. Imnotsure

Imnotsure Member

I definitely think it looks like something mechanical did it

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What makes you think it must be jagged? Ask yourself this........"If it wasn't PMD, how in the heck could the reeding be applied to the damaged area?"

Thinking!

Thinking!

Thinking!

Thinking!

Chris

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It is not a Clipped Error. A Clipped Planchet error is actually the curve of another planchet that was cut out of a sheet of metal. Your coin has a damaged PMD issue.

12. Imnotsure

Imnotsure Member

thank you for your help. but the "clip" on the edge is curved and I lined it up with another half dollar and it's the same cure

13. Imnotsure

Imnotsure Member

no need to be rude

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

15. Imnotsure

Imnotsure Member

16. Imnotsure

Imnotsure Member

The supposedly clipped area is curved inwards

Attached Files:

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Paddyman is highly knowledgeable in these types of coins if he says it's not an error,
    it's probably damage. You could ask Fred Weinberg he's a member here and an expert.

18. Imnotsure

Imnotsure Member

Thank you

19. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You need a thicker skin!

I'm trying to make you think for yourself. You're the one who said that you have researched it. If you know about the coining process, you would know that the reeding is the third edge of the coining chamber. So, how could a (partial?) clip occur before the coin is struck and still appear separated from the main body of the coin?

Chris

20. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

PMD - it was 'pinched' by
    something.

Not an error of any type, I'm sorry
    to have to say.

paddyman98 and furham like this.
  21. Imnotsure

Imnotsure Member

Thanks for the Help! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted