2009 P copper dime?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Dj67, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Dj67

Dj67 Active Member

hello everyone, is this possible? a copper color dime.
    thanks, Dottie

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. USCoinCollector42

USCoinCollector42 Well-Known Member

It looks like someone found this dime metal detecting.

paddyman98 and Dj67 like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Dj67

Hi, Dottie!

I think you should chalk this one up to environmental damage. The upset rim and all of the devices are too well formed. You would think that if it was missing both clad layers that some of the devices would be weakly struck. I think it is PMD.

Chris

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    SchwaVB57, tommyc03 and Dj67 like this.
  5. ef5zak

ef5zak New Member

It could be a mint error where the clad layer is missing; that sometimes happens

6. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

One layer yes, but this is copperplated
    on both sides.

Weigh it, and I'll bet it's well within
    tolerance for a normal clad dime;
    maybe .1 to .3 grams more due to
    the plating,

Stevearino and paddyman98 like this.
  7. cpm9ball

Rarely is it missing both sides. The strike would be weak.

Chris

8. ef5zak

ef5zak New Member

True. And it is strange that there is also heavy scratches and dents in the coin.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Hey Dottie, you just may have something there, but not why you think! Do you realize how few 2009 dimes of ANY sort are out there "in the wild"? Try to find another one. Rumor has it a huge portion of them went into circulation in Puerto Rico. I wonder how many blew away.

10. cpm9ball

Come on, Kurt! It has already been established that you are not a very good comedian, and now you are exhibiting poor judgement in peddling bad information to a newcomer to the hobby. Please put it to rest.

Chris

Dj67 likes this.
  11. V. Kurt Bellman

Chris, I have never yet found even one example of a 2009-P dime in circulation, and I have checked every dime I've received in change for the last 8+ years. Keep in mind I just recently moved 55 miles west of where I did previously, and that was 55 miles west of the Philly Mint. The maximum irony of the OP's picture is the dime looks like it was a Satin one from a Mint Set.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  12. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

They have been picking up a bit for me in the coin rolls I search. Searching for them right now in PR certainly would be an almost impossible endeavor. Still lacking power at a to high of a percentage. I will stop there.:jawdrop:

13. V. Kurt Bellman

What you lose to the wind in the past tense, is what you gain with the metal detector at the beaches in the future tense.

14. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it would be nice to have power. How much detecting would you be doing with no power for months after months. :snaphappy:
    I need a snickers.

15. cpm9ball

I'm not questioning the first part of your comment. It is this part I object to..........

Chris

Heater likes this.
  16. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

Well crap Chris, I like that reply. I wonder how long Kurt would make it with no power. Of course he has one of those hats that people buy at a good mark up.

One of those storms was headed your way, landed and I guess you were a fool to think about water, food, and basic services....instead of what you may be able to pick up on the beach.

17. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

Well Kurt, do a favor and move another 55 miles west from your last move. Why would you leave that excellent area of PA. Are the locals getting tired of promises? Coal is back! lol and steel is the way, but more layoffs today there.
    I need a snickers.

18. cpm9ball

I had to give up the Snickers. I was gaining too much weight!:(

Chris

Heater likes this.
  19. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

I gained all the weight and lose it now or else. I really need a snickers. All is cool but dang, @V. Kurt Bellman. Why should so many of those US citizens still be without power? Oh I got it, they should go metal detect.
    Kurt, pick a finger? Can one be called a vagina or penis. Sorry mods., perfectly acceptable language.

20. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

:)

21. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yep. Enviro damage, I'm afraid. It likely spent some time in or on the ground. I find 'em with this look when I'm out detecting. Sometimes they got sucked up by the blades of a lawnmower and banged around like this, or worse.

Interesting about the 2009 dimes being scarce in circulation. I don't pay enough attention to pocket change.

BTW, Dottie, today I'm mailing that jewelry bezel for your keepsake nickel that I promised you a while back.

Stevearino and Dj67 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted