2009 Lincon Cent Value

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Harryj, May 17, 2009.

1. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

Ok, all of us have realized that the 2009 Lincoln cent is not abundant in circulation. The US mint is selling rolls at 9 times face value and finally making a profit on cents. They are selling on e-bay for much more.

The combined low mintages projected the releases of the New Lincoln cent may be the lowest in many years, however the mintages aren't that low to affect the price as much as it is.

Think about the "hoarding effect" with the 2009 Lincolns. They are being hoarded in record numbers. because of the hoarding factor there will be record numbers of the 2009 cents graded MS 67 Plus.

So, should we as collectors stay away from graded 2009 cents? And will the price of the mint Lincoln rolls continue to decline maybe to under mint issue prices like some proof and mint sets?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Good question Harry, time will tell.

This my be like several other Lincolns, the 09-VDB ( which is FAR FAR more common then the 09-P, the price guides should be reversed in mint state grades ) or the 1931-S which is rarer in F-12 than it is in red BU.

4. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

1909 P's are hard to find. I have a MS65 and a MS66. Yes 31 S Lincolns were greatly hoarded as the 50 D Jefferson. the jefferson 50 D was worth more in 1970 then now.

5. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I believe that even with the hoarding effect going on, Lincoln is still a powerful enough figure in American history that demand could only increase as time goes on. Even when values go down, I think that over time (probably more time than people want to wait) prices will rise higher than they were during the big craze on ebay.

6. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Prices will be crazy, because if people are hoarding vast amounts, a lot of people can't get their hands on them, making demand go up, and up...
    Now, it will die down for a bit, once everyone has had their fix, but I don't see any of the 2009 pennies, going down completely in value, and demand anytime soon.

7. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

u want to know the lowest mintage 2009 cents - get the proofs all of them they will have far lower mintage then any of the unc

8. Larry Moran

Larry Moran Numismatographer

I got mine. : )

It has an incuse error next to the letter 'U." Does anybody else have one with this same error???

I paid an outlandish 50¢ at my favorite dealer's shop, because banks in my area say they cannot get them, and have been told that they will not be getting them.

[​IMG]

9. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

hmm interesting

10. SNDMN59

SNDMN59 New Member

2009 cabin

When i put penny rolls together to sell in my antique booths, I have been putting a 2009 LINCOLN D in the middle of each roll. All of you may think I am crazy .But i try to keep customers happy, you would not believe the customers that come back and buy somemore coins some high dollar. Itry to please people the way i would like to be treated . I was raised up this way.:bigeyes:

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I don't mind paying the mint. so I can have a compete 4 coin P&D set and mint rolled to boot!

* Maybe one day when I worm food my son and my grandchildren my thank me for paying a tad bit more

12. Larry Moran

Larry Moran Numismatographer

That's a great idea, SNDMN59...

I thought to myself, just about a week ago. that some ebay sellers should advertise a free Log Cabin Cent with their listings. I'll bet they'd get double the normal play on their listings, at least for awhile. Even if their listings are for $1,000 items. Impulse buying is an important factor, and some folks might overpay by hundreds on a coin just to get that free penny; they are so frugal. LOL

13. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

EXACTLY!

The 2009's are by no means rare, the mintages were (will be) sufficient, they are slowly showing up in circulation. IMO, give it a year or two they will be no big deal. Sealed rolls will be abundant albeit slightly more scace than the previous Memorial issues.

The real problem is the same as the Memorial series, spotted coins and worn/damaged dies. I've cracked a few rolls seeking high-grade examples for my collection....same as I've done for Memorials. The real challenge is finding clean, EDS coins.

14. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Stay away from all graded coins is my motto and,

Stay away from all graded coins is my motto and these new Lincoln's by this time next year you won't be able to sling a cat without hitting boxes, rolls and singles.

15. tmoneyeagles

The graded coins will not be worth it... Unless you are just buying boxes of and rolls of 09 pennies, getting them graded and flipping the 67's and 68's for profits...

16. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

People are hoarding these like crazy.....as soon as they hit the streets they are gobbled up FAST !!!!

I have been thru about 130 rolls of "P"s and apx. 93% or so have been MS65 or worst. I sent 5 to PCGS last week and since then have found 1 that looked better than those 5 and about 8-10 more that come real close to the 5 I sent in. I will wait on grades before sending in more.

THERE HAVE BEEN NO MS68's FOUND YET !!!
    HOW MUCH DOES THE FIRST PCGS MS68RD GO FOR ???????:secret:

:loud:..SPIT IT OUT.....NO SECRETS AROUND HERE

17. skippy

skippy Senior Member

My family and I were at a local flea market this past weekend. We went into one of the dealers booths that I have bought from on occasion and he had a P,D set of the first 2009 design in a dinky case for $5! ...$5!
    He always has had good fair prices but I guess this would be one instance where he'd getcha.
    Although I have noticed less bargains of late since his business partner has been doing more and more there.
    One more mouth to feed I guess...or it could be just the play on the hype.
    Either way...sheesh!

18. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Give it 6 months or a year and this craze will be over and the cents will be common is what I expect to see.

19. tmoneyeagles

Anytime soon...no
    In about 6 months, I agree, the hype will be down...

20. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Already the price for a roll of log cabins has come way down on ebay quite a bit......just when I finally got some......

just my luck.

21. Sholom

Sholom retired...

That's funny (great minds think alike?) -- I just thought of that myself on Sat night. So I tried it, and I got $7 more than previous same item I sold (!). It may have been the timing (first auction ended at 6:30 pm ET and I got $15, the second one (with the free Log Cabin) ended around 10:30 pm ET and I got $22, both on Sunday).

So, then I broke down, snapped up 3 09-D Log Cabin rolls for a combined $15, and plan to include them in my items for a while.

It's early -- and I can't draw any conclusions yet -- but first impression was pretty astounding.

Draft saved Draft deleted