2009 lincoln ddr. 3 thumbs? doubling on book?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bryantallard, Oct 4, 2012.

1. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

it looks like there might be 3 thumbs? and the top of the book above right hand? advice appreciated the second pic is normal for a comparison
    6.jpg 7.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

4. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

Looks like 1DR-012.

5. Call me crazy, but I think some of these LP2 varieties may actually carry a significant premium some day. In fact, I believe all the 2009 Lincoln Bicentennial cents are worth saving/hoarding. TC

6. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Hey I'm not going to call you crazy. I think you are right about these 2009 doubled die cent coins . when they get some age on them they may be quite valuable , look at how much the 1984 doubled ear cents are worth now. in 1972 and for a few years after that the 1972 die #1 doubled dies could be bought for only a few dollars. I have quite a few of the die #1 and #2 doubled thumb coins , they may never help me but hopefully they may help my children or grandchildren one of these days.

7. lonegunlawyer

I think varieties are the way to go. They are the coins that are undervalued and rare.

8. bryantallard

i was thinking it looked similiar to the 012 however if you compare photos the top of the book on mine is different than the one listed that has the straight edge?
    6.jpg 2009p1dr012e.jpg

9. Prime Mover

Prime Mover Active Member

I'm with you on this one. I've been starting to go for a lot of varieties and error coins as the basis of my collection. I've always been interested in the "off" or "low production" versions of things.

10. Prime Mover

So, I think I'll add this to my list of varieties to search for. Question tho - looking at theBay, I see a lot of rolls of these marked as "String & Son". Since I know nothing about Lincoln rolls yet, is this something to be avoiding? I guess the main concern is whether these are already-searched rolls re-wrapped up and resold with no chance of finding errors. Should I just stick to getting unopened boxes from the mint?

11. lonegunlawyer

The Mint is usually the best way to go if you don't mind paying the premium.

I have started buying $25 bricks from my bank. You get a wide variety (pun intended) of dates.

I usually look for the cherry picker varieties and errors. However, this weekend, I found a 1928S in my 3rd roll. I also found a 1945 upside down S. Nothing big, but still cool.

In summary, diversify and go both ways.

12. Prime Mover

I have to get the cherrypicker's guide ordered, been wanting to do that for a while. One more question for ya - after you're done searching the rolls, what do you do with the rest? Bring them back to the bank to cash in, or just spend it? I see all the posts in the roll searchers, and am amazed at the finds, but those who are "spending" $10k end up with a ton of coins I would think would be hard to get rid of.

13. lonegunlawyer

First, the book is great, but it only lists a few varieties. The first volume covers half cents through buffalo nickels. I was a bit disappointed that it did not cover more Lincolns (and then only up through 2001). With that said, it is still a valuable addition to my numismatic library. If you order through Amazon it is like $27 as compared to the $40 list (also there is a link through CoinTalk that you can go through that will benefit the site).

If you really want to see almost 3,000 varieties of Lincolns, then check out coppercoins.com. Also, lincolncentresource.com is very good.

NOW, about all those cents you will have left over. Above all, you want to be courteous. Some banks do not mind if you bring in a big jar of cents. However, what I do is re-roll them with a cheap counting machine you can buy at a hobby store or office supply store. Then, I will spend some (I usually buy an 85 cent drink M-F and that is 2 rolls right there). I have had places thank me for spending a roll or two of pennies because it gives them change. The majority I take back to the bank, at least a different branch if not different bank, because when you order more, you do not want what you just gave back. You want coins that have been back to some larger fed bank for rolling (I also found a dime in one roll this weekend).

Did I get to everything?

14. bryantallard

if there is a TD bank near you they have coin machines you just dump them in for free. plus they will put coin orders in upon request instead of going in and hoping they have extra

15. lonegunlawyer

What is a TD bank?

16. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

17. bryantallard

it's a well known bank. i thought they were everywhere?

18. lonegunlawyer

OK. Well known bank is sufficient. I have usually dealt with smaller banks and CUs. I have been meaning to experiment with some of these bigger banks.

19. Prime Mover

Good info so far, thanks all.

I have an account at a local TD Bank and have used their coin counters before, so I could do that in small chunks. I figured this was probably the best way to do it, just wanted to confirm there wasn't a better way. They are named "Toronto Dominion Bank" officially (eh!), and they also bought Commerce Bank if you had any near you, mostly in the NorthEast and NorthWest I think, but expanding. I only use them for the coin counter, I stick to Credit Unions for my normal banking.

I've been looking through Wexler's website, doubleddie.com, which is a wealth of info. I'll check into the other books and resources mentioned for sure. The CP Guide I was going to purchase through Amazon for the Kindle (though I use the app on my PC which gives me better page sizing), and I'll look into the other books.

Looks like it's going to be a busy winter... :D

20. lonegunlawyer

Busy, and hopefully productive winter! Good luck to all!

Draft saved Draft deleted