2009 Lincoln commemorative silver dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by elaine 1970, Feb 14, 2009.

1. SirCharlie

SirCharlie Chuck

You bring up a good point. In my opinion, I think the mint produces too many of almost everything. There is suppose to be a great difference between what we carry in our pockets, and what coin collectors keep. If they produce too many, then they are not really collectables, they are bullion, or else they are just put away and not used, like the Sacs and Kennedy halves. If they didn't produce so many of them, then yes, the coins bought from the mint for $5-$20 will sell for $125 and more, and in my opinion, that is what makes them true collectable coins.
    I think the mint will overproduce the Lincoln silver dollars, making them worth a great deal less that what they should be worth. I think 500,000 is too many, and I feel there should be a limit of 2 per household instead of 100, plus they should not allow dealers to purchase in bulk with the exception of the bullion items.
    I am so pleased with this Lincoln I had to keep one at home just so I could look at it every once in a while.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Todd Volker

Todd Volker Member

I agree with the comments about overproduction. I can't imagine a market for 500,000 of these: how many silver eagles are sold each year?

I'm impressed by how flat the prices are for old proof/unc sets.

I'd like a complete reconfiguration of American coinage: new sizes and designs. But the problem we have is coming to grips with the fact that slowly but surely we're slipping away from any of our coins having much value in everyday life market exchanges.

4. SirCharlie

SirCharlie Chuck

I don't know, but there were certain years that were really good ones like 1995-1996-1997 where they were limited. I think all years should be like that. Elaine is pretty sharp on the quantities produced. It just not as much fun if everyone has everything. If everyone had all of the coins, it doesn't leave a want for much. People that have everything must be so bored. It seems to me that the fun is in finding a rare coin that you want, and taking the time, or saving up and searching for just the one that you want for your collection.

5. Todd Volker

Todd Volker Member

Sir Charlie: Agreed. I also wonder what the Mint does with all the leftovers. Just melted down?

6. craig a

craig a Coin Hoarder

I got mine today. Unc. and proof. The unc. looks better. But I dont understand why some folks are dissapointed with the mintage. How many would you like them to make? 1000? 10? Or just the one which you would be lucky enough to accquire?

7. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

As someone whose sole motivation is to be able to collect what I like, whether it's going to increase in value or not, I couldn't care less whether the mintage of a coin I want is just 1 or 1 billion, so long as I can get one!

Proof vs. uncirculated is a matter of taste I suppose. I usually prefer my modern commemoratives in proof, though for the 2001 buffalo dollar I have to admit the uncirculated looks nice. Proofs outnumber uncirculated usually (which is reflective of the tastes of the general public) so if you care about future values of coins uncirculated is a little better of a bet, but again I only care about being able to acquire what I like and don't really care what it will be worth in the future.

8. craig a

craig a Coin Hoarder

Yes, I agree. I dont care about the rarity of a coin. Just as long as I like it.

9. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Well, the coins arrived today. Found them in my mail box, delivered by USPS which explains the long delay..... the Pony Express only runs every other week here in WV. The coins are stunning. Now if only the UHR came in I would be happy!

10. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i think its time u sent me the uhr on a 100 year loan :D

11. becky62

becky62 Collector

Received mine yesterday. On the package it said "Mailman leave if no response." Pretty tacky of that particular service the Mint is using now.

Anyway, the coins look really good, Pr and Unc. Not a speck or any sort of mark on them! I could probably get a 70 out of these if I had them slabbed, LOL. I don't slab Mint stuff though so they'll remain in original boxes. I also bought the Lincoln USPS package plus an extra sheet of stamps to go with them, just because I think they go well together. ;) Did anyone else do that?

12. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

i don't buy any slabbed modern coins produced by the mint. it should be in its original box with c.o.a. hopefully someday the raw coins will worth more than the slabbed coins. of course the raw coins should be in its original preserve and well taking care of. just like you just bought it from the mint.

13. Billincolo

Billincolo Senior Member

I just ordered the Lincoln $1 proof because I think it's a beauty and I revere the memory of the President. So, for me, it's truly a commemorative more than a collectible.

14. commidaddy

commidaddy Senior Member

Just got an email from the mint pushing my shipping date back from today to 3-19...not that I didn't expect that LOL. I'm guessing I'll get them by Christmas.

15. Billincolo

Billincolo Senior Member

I got the same email. Oh, well. At least they tell us when they're running late ...

16. schatzy

schatzy ~Roosie Fanatic~

I order 20 of each one. This is the worst quality I have seen.
    I only have 6 Proofs that don't have flaws and only 12 MS that passed the inspection!! 45% is not a very good average!!
    Well I just sent out the 18 to NGC......I hope I get some 70's.

Does anyone else see a problem with quality this year?

17. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i hope by imperfection u dont mean that they were not 70

18. schatzy

schatzy ~Roosie Fanatic~

That is what I mean!!

19. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

I have to get it first before I can loan it out.... but maybe we can work out a deal. I will trade you my UHR for your $10 Indian. :hail::kewl:

20. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

Both of my uncircs had two identical specks under the wreath. Die damage?

21. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

well, it might be an error coin. good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted