2009 Lincoln Cents

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by davdo, Feb 24, 2008.

1. davdo

davdo Senior Member

Is there anything new about the reverse designs for the 2009 Lincoln Cents? Seems like it has been a while since there has been any news. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinmelt

Coinmelt New Member

I've read a few news stories that they will be issuing 4 different designs through 2009. I started a thread about it with images of the four possible designs.

Other then that I haven't heard much. Expect a rumor on an other forum that congress is currently looking at a bill to make melting pennies legal (for copper content) because they are going to discountinue the cent all together. Time will tell.

4. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

The selection process for the four reverses is ongoing. As far as special coins - such as bronze - I haven't heard anything definitive.

5. d_lairson

d_lairson Looking for loose change

Last I heard, the Citizens Coinage Action Committee (Is that right???) approved 3 designs to sent to the Sec of the Treasury, but they hated the last design and came up with one of there own, based on several other designs that had been submitted.

As to the melting of cents, there is an article in this weeks Coin World that says the mint is very strongly pushing for the melting ban to stay in effect for several years to come. Even if they were to stop minting the cent, I doubt that they would lift the ban then, that would just increase the drain on the cent from the FRB.

Just my 2 cents (Hah!)

Cheers,
    David

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I think the ban will be lifted when one of two things happens. Enough time passes so that the number of copper cents in circulation becomes a very small percentage of the total, or a couple years after the cent is discontinued and it ceases to be a circulating coin for all practical purposes. (Unlike many people who claim that the cent will circulate for a long time because of all of the billions of them out there in hoards,I believe that the cent will cease to actively circulate within less than two years fter it is discontinued. Possibly as little as one year, and much of the circulation will dry up within a matter of just a few months.)

Draft saved Draft deleted