2009 Dollar Bill Misprint

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by gags14, Nov 28, 2011.

1. krispy

krispy krispy

Yes, please post new pics, though a scan would be a much better option for the resolution and detail and so that the lens of any camera doesn't distort the shape of the notes.

With that said, just because you can "feel" the ink, doesn't mean it's a legitimate "error" note. As well, you should not be rubbing your bare hands on the note, as that is a HUGE no-no, since oils from your hands are transferring to the paper of the note every time you do this and you risk affecting long term conservation of the note, especially if it should turn out to be authentic.

It's an error of a novice collector to be mishandling their collection in such a way and points out that you may not be qualified to judge your note authentic. For your note, I would again recommend the same course of action as I have the OP of this thread, get it reviewed/certified by a TPG.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. slippinin

slippinin New Member

I posted them in the thread you linked to, I didn't want to mess up the ops thread with different pics. I'm using a desk lamp for light, so I'll have to get some better lighting eventually for taking these photos. I can try different ones if those aren't good enough.

4. krispy

krispy krispy

And that thread again is: 2009 circulated dollar misprint

As noted after your latest comments in that thread about the ink feeling "gummy"...

"Gummy" doesn't sound right as the inks from the BEP should never have that feeling once they have dried. Sounds like a big red flag to me that your note would be bogus.

5. slippinin

slippinin New Member

Maybe gummy wasn't the right word, just rougher feeling than the rest of the bill. Are you saying someone made a copy of a dollar and printed it onto another just for the fun of it? I paid a dollar for it, so it didn't get them anything when they gave it to me, seems like a waste of time and energy.

6. krispy

krispy krispy

Yes, it happens all the time. Errors are faked! It doesn't take that much effort either. If fake, someone may even have slipped the note into circulation as a joke or as a way of disposing of a mishap by a fraudster, should the note have been inferior to pass as a fake. That is, the ink didn't print well enough to past muster (re: gummy). After all, the note still spends and most people wouldn't notice it in circulation on the back side of a note like this. The note may also have been returned to circulation if discovered as a fake by a collector who wanted to get rid of it. I'm just trying to help you understand that fake errors do exists and there are many reasons and ways that you might find them, though commonly they are found on eBay. ;)

7. slippinin

slippinin New Member

If you look at both of them, they have the same pattern with the almost dot like looks in places, so if they were faked, which i doubt, they were faked by the same person. The OPs seems to be a little bit lighter, the ink on mine is probably a little bit thicker.

8. gags14

gags14 New Member

Ok so i got the scanner to work and here is the back of the bill for the ones that dont like the photos
    Still waiting to hear from Denlys of boston

Attached Files:

9. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

10. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Well the idea is that another face of another sheet came in contact with the back of this sheet before they were done drying...

11. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

No, that's not the idea. What happens is that the intaglio press misfeeds, so that it tries to print without having any paper in it. The inked printing plate then comes into direct contact with the "blanket" that's supposed to squeeze the paper against the plate, leaving ink on the blanket. On the next press cycle, the next sheet gets ink on both sides: a normal image on the face, from the printing plate, and a reversed image on the back, from the ink on the blanket. The next few sheets after that may also show reversed images on the back, each progressively fainter, until all the ink on the blanket is gone.

Sometimes, instead of the original sheet being missing entirely, the original sheet will have a corner folded down, or a piece torn off. Then only part of the note design will end up on the blanket, producing a partial offset like the one slippinin posted in the other thread.

And, again, based on the images posted in this thread and that one, I see no basis for the level of suspicion that some forum posters are exhibiting. Fake errors exist, but genuine errors also exist. Typical fakes of the sort found on Ebay don't look as good as these notes. It's not reasonable to suggest paying TPG fees "just to be sure", when there's so little reason to doubt that these errors are genuine.

(Also, feeling the ink and the paper of a note with one's hands is an excellent way of judging its authenticity, and is not at all inappropriate. That's why some experienced collectors avoid TPG'd notes: precisely because they can't examine the note themselves when it's sealed in a TPG holder.)

12. gags14

gags14 New Member

Not to be completely naive here but shouldnt an error like this been caught? Looking at it, it seems pretty apparent and visible.

13. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

So is this like a die clash for notes?

14. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Once again, it was caught. It was caught by the person that posted it. Why is that so hard to believe?? It's the newest series of $1's being printed so it's not like it's spent years in circulation.

-tbud

15. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Thank you for correcting me. I knew it was something similar like that. I thought I read somewhere though that the way I said is how it is but maybe not.

-tbud

16. gags14

gags14 New Member

What i meant was caught at the printing. I figured they would have things in place to catch these things.
    New to this and try to get a hold on it is and isnt.

17. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

If this could only happen on one or two notes, then there is a 90% chance that it can go undetected

18. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Oh I get you. I thought you were suggesting, as other member have suggested, that it wouldn't make sense for a note like this to go unnoticed in circulation. But now I understand what you meant. You are correct. The BEP printing process has an electronic computer eye that catches next to any problems possible. This is what makes the error notes worth so much; they rarely leave the BEP for circulation. Instead when they are caught, they are usually discarded and shredded and sold as shreds or just simply thrown out. This is also what makes a good 90% of star notes...

-tbud

19. gags14

gags14 New Member

So i have heard nothing from Denlys of Boston. Is there anyone else around the boston / providence area that anyone is aware of? Want to get some answers on this bill.

20. krispy

krispy krispy

You can contact the other person I told you about at US Rare Currency.

Above all, as I mentioned before, I suggest you consult a TPG, either PCGS Currency or PMG for their review.

A good way to get started with PMG, free of charge, would be for you to sign up with the Collectors Society forums and post to the PMG paper money threads. Provide a scan of your note and post your questions for the graders at PMG. They will review your question in their forum and while it may take a few days for them to respond, generally they answer all questions received. They can advise you as to whether you should send the note into them for review and verification or not. It's not cheap to submit notes and it takes some paper work and time to get done properly.

I still believe the note will turn out not to be an authentic error. Please let us know what you learn about your note as you take this process forward and remember, you are not going to get this answered quickly, because it even takes experts time with the object in hand to fully assess a piece. So I urge you to be patient as you seek help from whom ever you approach for an answer.

21. Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith New Member

I have a 2009 dollar bill that just looks crazy trying 2 find out how much it's worth . It looks like it was double printed everything on the bill is off set the words "The United States Of America" look doubled or shadowed .

Draft saved Draft deleted