2009-D Dime Die Chip?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by dallas_214, Oct 14, 2020.

1. dallas_214

dallas_214 Member

Is this a die chip on the reverse of the coin, to the right of the bottom of the torch?
    Wed Oct 14 13-42-37.jpg Wed Oct 14 13-44-14.jpg Wed Oct 14 13-27-00.jpg Wed Oct 14 13-28-13.jpg Wed Oct 14 13-28-52.jpg Wed Oct 14 13-40-28.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

If you look you can see Striations on the field. That is a sign of Die Deterioration. So that would be a die chip.. Smallest one ever in the history of die chips.

Oldhoopster and dallas_214 like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I just don't understand why some people are so interested in minor chips and cracks. They aren't unique to a coin, and they don't add any value to them, either.

Now, I know that I will probably get a nasty response to my comments, but that is just how I feel.

jamor1960 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I know, right .

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Yep, but NAV.

7. Tankkiller275

Tankkiller275 Active Member

Don't they add importance when used to verify a DDO/DDR? Or the variety of DDO/DDR?

8. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

494B5B0A-AC59-4BBF-98B9-EF7BEBAE0193.jpeg Not all die chips are created equal
    I saved a few over my CRH career

Collecting Nut likes this.
  9. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

in my opinion people like them because it interests them. I have no idea why people walk on the beach and pick up shells, but they do it because it interests them. maybe one day the shells lead to finding a lost piece of jewelry, then that leads to buying a metal detector.

Same goes for die chips, people excited that looking at their change gave them something to look at, even if it isn't valuable. Maybe one day that Krugerrand turns up in the coinstar reject tray, or a 1909S VDB turns up in their change and the person gets hooked.

Congrats on your find, it's a die chip. it's a small die chip, but you are correct, that's what it is.
    Keep up the good work!

10. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

2C25EBE4-0C44-4F2E-BF83-F272B1888F24.jpeg 54DB3818-905F-4B56-BA73-7DACE2613E00.jpeg And sometimes the small cracks can identify special dies
    My late die state 1982 dimes all show it

11. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Nice 1982 "no P"s !

Heavymetal likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That is one small die chip for sure.

13. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

unusual coins makes people think what else could be lurking in pocket change, and I have found three minor error coins in my change so far so it's the thrill of the unknown, the chance that maybe the next odd coin could be a major find

Draft saved Draft deleted