2009 Cents

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by davdo, Aug 30, 2020.

1. davdo

davdo Senior Member

Will someone please refresh my memory regarding the different finishes/compositions of the 2009 cents? Was the 'satin finish' available from the uncirculated sets? And the proofs were the only way to get the copper compositions cents, right? Getting older and my memory isn't nearly as good as it used to be. Thanks!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

davdo likes this.
  4. davdo

davdo Senior Member

Thanks! That does answer my questions. I think I was right except that the uncirculated mint sets also contain the bronze composition cents along with the Proof sets.Thanks again!!

ernie11 likes this.
  5. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

yeah, Mint and proof sets for 2009 is supposed to be 95% copper 5% tin/zinc, Bronze
    proof is proof and pretty self explanatory.
    the mint set is a satin finish until 2010.

Circulation strikes are composed of an inner core alloy of 99.2% zinc and 0.8% copper with an outer plating of pure copper and business strike finish.

so there's 4 Business strikes in Zinc, 4 Proof in Bronze, 4 mint set bronze with satin finish..... 12 total?

I haven't seen anyone as of yet locate wrong planchet errors for these like a business strike on a Bronze planchet, or a proof on a zinc planchet, or a mint set zinc or non-satin.... I don't know if this error happened, maybe there are packaging errors though between the mint set and business strikes without satin finish, but not "wrong planchet" errors I don't think, at least not yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted