2008-W Burnished Buffalo $50 MS70 PCGS page

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Brian Calvert, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/coin/detail/399928

Can someone tell me why the PCGS MS70 are sold for such a premium over the NGC's ?
    As one can see the Auction results on attached link. Value listed PCGS is 4K.

2nd question - Why wouldn't people just rotate them out under the PCGS brand, send it in, graded already and ask them to SLAB it ? If legal, just curious... Not looking to do it, just wondering if it happens.

3rd Question Does this coin gain in value over the years since very few are now sold ?

4th statement - Starting a regular coin collection, I know I have complained that i am too old, but, guess that is never a thing...

Think I will start off with DD, mint made errors...
    Think it is great, going to get me kid into it a little if she will, then hope for a grandson

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

First question, your link shows the $10 gold buffalo not the $50 burnished so the comment about PCGS value being $4K didn't mean much. So I went to the $50 page and yes if you just compare the prices listed it looks like PCGS coins bring more. HOWEVER those PCGS prices are from four to six years ago and the NGC prices are form mostly in the past year. So you are comparing apples and oranges.

Second question yes you could try and cross NGC coins into PCGS slabs, but understand that PCGS will not allow you to specify "only cross if it is a 70" (Or at least that used to be the rule). So your NGC 70 may come back as a PCGS 69. Also PCGS may be tougher on giving 70's than NGC is (I don't know I haven't looked at pop reports)

Third question. Who knows, no one knows what will be popular in the future and what may rise in value. If we knew that we would all be rich.

Fourth statement, Go for it, have fun and don't worry about future values. Worrying just makes you enjoy things less. If someday you get out and find you've made money it's a bonus, if you don't well how do you put a value on years of enjoyment and entertainment. I find the entertainment "dividend" enough to justify my expenses, so I'm pretty much guaranteed my "bonus".

4. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted