2008 Roosevelt Dime cowlick error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bobbeth87, Apr 21, 2009.

1. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

I'm new to the forum. Hi everyone.

In going through change last night, I ran across a 2008 P dime with a little extra metal sticking out of the back of Roosevelt's head as it he had a cowlick. It looked like it might be a die error, or maybe damage. Then, the next one I looked at, also a 2008 P, had a significant cowlick out of the back of his head. It looks obvious to me that it is some kind of die error.

Here's my question. I'm fairly new to coin collecting (loved it as a kid, did nothing for 30 years, then inherited my Dad's old collection which lit my fire for the hobby again), what do I do with this? Is there a good place to go to sell this kind of thing? Verify it? Help.

Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Welcome to the forum:hail:. The first thing we would appreciate is a picture of what you're talking about, then we can tell you what it is and it's value if any over face.

4. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

It would help if you had pictures but it may be a lamination error. BTW, welcome to CoinTalk.

5. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

I'll take a picture tonight and put it on (I'm at work). It is really quite pronounced...

6. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

It sounds like it could be a die chip. Some of the earlier Roosevelt's had some good ones.

7. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Is a "die chip" worth something?

8. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Some people will pay extra for them, if that what it is.

9. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Picture of the error

Here is a couple of pictures. They aren't that sharp. I'll try again with sunlight as I think my camera will do better with that... IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

10. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

The "cowlick" is at the back of the head.

So, what do you people with more experience think?

thanks

11. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Looks like it could be a die chip. Probably not worth a lot (if any) above face but an interesting piece nonetheless.

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I agree...it's a cool find but I don't think it's going to be worth a premium.

13. dermeat1

dermeat1 Junior Member

Looks like he is wearing a beany lol.....Heck I would be happy to have it just for the funny error spot!!

14. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

I have two others like it, all 2008, but not as pronounced as this one.

Maybe I could get 5 bucks out of this dime on ebay........

15. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Isn't it interesting that I found two with a die crack in the same place (if that is what it is). Where is the best place to sell a piece like this? Ebay?

Thanks.

16. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

I agree it looks like a die chip.

17. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Quarter out the ear !!!

We have not gotten many 2008 1c 5c 10c around here yet But some of the 2007 Dime also had a Die crack in the same area. nice find!

18. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Hi,

A minor die chip. It's fairly common and does not increase the value of the coin.

Thanks,
    Bill

19. 50cent

50cent What A steal

i can't realy tell sorry

20. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

I just looked at this post again and was wondering how you can be new to this forum and have over 2600 posts? It's a mystery but welcome to the forum...

Wait a minute, I just figured it out. This thread had a late comer who bumped it. You joined in 4/09.

21. James booth

James booth New Member

I have a 2008 p 10c it has a raised circle on the Front and back of pointing in the same exact spot any info would be a big help

Draft saved Draft deleted