2008 P Dime chips, breaks, ? double

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by letmesee2, Apr 25, 2015.

1. letmesee2

letmesee2 Active Member

There is a long raised area across the bottom of the neck and down the back of the neck. there are numerous die breaks/chips on the eyebrow, lip, cheek, hair. The obverse looks doubled in some areas, even the date. More images in next post.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. letmesee2

letmesee2 Active Member

reverse images

Attached Files:

4. coop

coop Senior Member

Looks like a VLDS coin. A lot of chipping. The devices are enlarging towards the rims. Some slight MD (Machine doubling/damage), but no hub doubling. Just a very tired die.

jay4202472000 likes this.
  5. letmesee2

letmesee2 Active Member

I am pretty new at this and have not seen the VLDS initials before, please enlighten me. Thanks.

6. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Very Late Die State

7. coop

coop Senior Member

As the die ages, the devices that face the rim are first to be affected. At first (MDS) the devices start to round over. Then the shape continues the show die wear. (LDS) When they die is in the VLDS die state, it is soon to be retired. Note the image below how it progresses:
    [​IMG]
    This happens on all dies. (even proof dies you can see die wear) The die chips also start, die cracks/breaks also retire a die earlier. But the distortion is usually toward the rims from the location of devices. Your coin is showing the die cracks and the weakness of the die in those directions. If hub doubling was present, there would be a widening of the devices and I see no evidence of this on your coin. Hope this helps.

UnCommonCents likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted