2008-P Arizona State Quarter - Thoughts on error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by DrWeekend, Sep 26, 2017.

1. DrWeekend

DrWeekend New Member

So I am asking for some early opinions on this 2008-P Arizona State Quarter with the common Extra Cactus 'error.' Could this possibly be a before or after strike missing clad error coin? I haven't got a chance to weigh it yet & will update ASAP, I tried to take the most detailed pics I could. Color is all the way through, thickness is lacking and it *seems* to weigh less in hand.. Any thoughts appreciated. Full Imgur album below :

IMGUR Link - https://imgur.com/a/gWQwQ

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It doesn't look like it's missing the clad layer to me. There are a lot of things in the environment that can cause that sort of toning.

Chris

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

You would need to weigh it.
    What does the third side look like? (photo)

DrWeekend likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The missing clad layer can only occur before the strike. I am thinking that it is after looking at your other pictures.

DrWeekend and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  6. paddyman98

You can't tell that way. Only a scale will determine this.

DrWeekend and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  7. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

The obverse strike is a bit stronger than it
    should be for a missing outer clad layer coin.

However, I do like the semi-flatness of the
    obv. rims, which is indicitive of a missing clad
    layer before striking.

And, for clarification, a clad layer missing can
    easily occur after striking - the copper core
    appearance would be mushy, but they occur
    fairly regularly too.

Let us know if the coin weighs about 4.6/4.7 grams -
    that's what it should be if it's struck on a split off
    before striking clad planchet.

8. paddyman98

Great.. Understood Fred. Thanks.

9. DrWeekend

DrWeekend New Member

Hey thanks guys, it's been a lot of fun doing all this research and really admiring all of these beautiful pieces. My first concern was as well the clarity and strength of the strike on the obverse side of this coin, as that does not seem to be the norm with these missing clad layer errors. However, the only other PCGS-rated 2008 Arizona quarter I could find online with comparable mint error looks, at least to me, to be of similar quality. Even stranger, the one sold on HA was 2008-D and mine is P.

I know that my coffee table isn't standard... but it's just so drastically different, especially the obv. rims like Fred pointed out. Here are a couple more pics - & again, I will post a gram weight update as soon as I can.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. silverman987

silverman987 Member

Very cool find. The quarter you have pictured does look like it is, in fact, missing the obverse clad layer.

11. Pickin and Grinin

I could try and define how this happens, but it would be easier to just send you a link. A go to Ref. for any questions I have about a particular error.
    http://www.error-ref.com/?s=missing+clad+layer

DrWeekend likes this.
  12. DrWeekend

DrWeekend New Member

UPDATE: Well I took the coin to a friend of mine with a scale and it did weigh 4.7! It varied slightly between 4.69 - 4.71, but as far as I know that's formal fluctuation right? The last picture here is a normal 25c on the scale for reference. Third picture you can REALLY see where the clad layer is separated! So what do you guys think - How "Rare" are errors like these? Are they still sought after? Should I get it graded? Does the 'extra cactus' add any value to the coin? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, this is a great community. Thank you!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

FULL IMGUR LINK: https://imgur.com/a/gWQwQ

13. Pickin and Grinin

A grade wouldn't hurt! But if you search missing clad layer there is a site that can give you approximate values.
    @paddyman98 could give you an idea.

14. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Send it to ANACS, they grade those type errors. It will be easier to sell with an authentication attached. After checking E-Bay, for some listed prices, getting the quarter authenticated would be worthwhile. There are quite a few state quarters listed on E-Bay.

15. paddyman98

Here is some info on the Missing Clad Layer values - http://www.coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=4879

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted