2008 P Arizona Quarter "Extra Cactus Leaf"

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by clint1970, Jul 30, 2020.

1. clint1970

clint1970 Active Member

A chip over initials Thu Jul 30 11-27-27.jpg Thu Jul 30 11-27-05.jpg Thu Jul 30 11-25-56.jpg

SorenCoins likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Simple Die Chip.

SorenCoins and Inspector43 like this.
  4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Many state quarters and the newer ATB state quarters have numerous examples of die chips. Some people have given them catchy names in the hopes that newer collectors will buy them thinking they are rare and valuable. However, they are just minor die chips and add no value to the coin.

There is nothing wrong with keeping ones that you find if you like them. After all, they are genuine mint errors

SorenCoins likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Cactus have leaves?

It's a small die chip.

6. clint1970

clint1970 Active Member

Yes you are allright. The Extra Leaf coin has die crack running thru leaf that makes it look like two leafs. This is chip over initials,which is good. It brings better $ then Extra Leaf. @Collecting Nut, I have no idea why its called leaf,, but, that's what they call it.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Only to bidiots! ~ Chris

8. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

If I found one, I would keep it. It's fun, I like it, and it probably only costed me 25 cents! Not everything in coin collecting is about value ;)

~SC

9. clint1970

clint1970 Active Member

SorenCoins likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Hehehe, it's not part of the cactus but another plant near the cactus. Lol

11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Just wondering where you’re getting your info. As mentioned previously, the people buying these coins are newer collectors or others that don’t know die chips are common. If you take these to a dealer who specializes in error coins, they will have no interest. That’s because the error collectors they sell to understand these are common. I’m certain that there isn’t a knowledgeable error collector on this site who would pay $3-5 for a minor die chip.

However, there are people trying to make a buck off new collectors. They give these things fancy names and promote them on YouTube and sites like you referenced. They make it sound like these are rare and valuable. And the people who fall for the gimmick will be surprised when they want to sell their “rare and valuable” error. Unless they can find another new collector, who has fallen for the hype, they will discover that their coins are only worth a fraction of what they paid. IMO, the people hyping these things (like the one your referenced) are doing a huge disservice to collectors and the hobby.

As I said previously, these things can be fun to find and collect, but please don’t expect to get rich off them, and please, please, please don’t fall for the hype. I hope this helps clarify things for you

Elendis and cpm9ball like this.
  12. clint1970

clint1970 Active Member

@Oldhoopster. Thanks for the info. I will keep it in mind.

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

And, that's a big, double-down, ditto to you! ~ Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted