2008 lincoln cent filled die error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Avery G., Oct 25, 2019.

1. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

20191023_182457.jpg 20191023_182513.jpg 1025-9.jpg 1025-8.jpg 1025-12.jpg 1025-6.jpg 1025-18.jpg 1025-31.jpg 1025-25.jpg
    Are these strikethroughs? The obverse is incused and the reverse is retained(raised).
    I only uploaded pics for 2 areas, there are more. Each strikethrough has an impression on opposite side. The various anomalies leads me to believe it's a filled die(drop filling) error. Any thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

All I see is environmental damage.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

No strike through. Just Damage by the environment.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Islander80-83 likes this.
  5. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

It appears to be a normal cent. Incuse/retained devices appear normal to me.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  6. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

7. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

Are you guys saying, environmental damage cause these anomalies? Damage put what appears to be a set screw left of and partly under the "N" on the reverse? It's embedded in the coin and raised. Tell me how damage caused that.

8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Damage can be caused an infinite number of ways.

9. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

That's too vague. There is no damage that will put an object in the coin in such a way that it is under a device. It would have to have been on the planchet when struck. Look at the pic again you can see a rise in the left leg of the "N". Filled die (drop filling) error. The die can be filled with a number of things, a set screw, nuts, bolts etc.

10. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

Look at the "E" left of the "N" the incused impression of the screw can be seen on the second bar of the "E".

11. Kevin Mader

I see what you are talking about. But I can’t make out the details around it to suggest it’s raised material from a chip/crack in the die or something else. The stain adjacent also interferes with the diagnosis.

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What the heck is a "filled die (drop filling) error".

If you are referring to a "Dropped Element" or a "Retained Dropped Element", please explain where the element came from.

NOTE: A Dropped Element would come from the same side of the coin.

Chris

furryfrog02 likes this.
  13. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

Well, it also says it could be debris as well as the design elements on the coin. I have to look it up again, but I seen one post where the dropped element came from the opposite side of the coin. Machine parts and other debris can get trapped between the planchet and die face.

14. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

Type in filled die strikethrough error and see what pops up.

15. Kevin Mader

I think you might be thinking a dropped letter. I don’t see that here but if you post clearer pictures we can confirm.

16. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

This is a zincoln (zinc lincoln). A Zinc core with an 8 micron thin copper plate.

The two metals do not go well together.

The copper plating can bubble up, create streaks, etc. It can also sink down. And that is Before it enters circulation and gets damaged and causes further deterioration of everything.

For some reason when there is internal corrosion and the damage becomes incused (sinks down), it ends up in partial circles that people think are random mint marks. It's not. It's a "zincoln"

The best examples are watching the life cycle of split plating around the mint mark. It looks like a DD but starts changing colors, sinks a bit, bubbles up, then collapses down.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  17. cpm9ball

Do you mean "see what pops up on BoobTube"? No thanks!

Chris

Mike185 likes this.
  18. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

Wow!!!!!!!!!!

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That little bump buy the N that you call a set screw strike through is nothing more that a plating blister at best. The copper coating on a zinc Cent is very thin and if the surface of the zinc is not 100% clean it will bubble and blister in a thousand different ways. A strike through is not raised like this is.

The coin itself has ED. Worth one cent.

20. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

If it is retained, it will be raised.

21. cpm9ball

If a dropped element came from the opposite side, it would mean that the planchet had to flip over while still in the coining chamber and be struck a second time or it had to adhere to the face of the hammer die and fall off onto the face of the anvil die before another planchet entered the coining chamber. Possible? Yes! Likely? No!

Of course, built-up debris can fall out of the recesses. I didn't suggest that it couldn't be possible whether it is retained or not, but machine parts are not considered a dropped element.

Here are a few images of specimens with dropped elements that I found in a $50 Mint bag of 1980 Lincoln Cents.

Retained debris dropped from the face of the reverse die.
    1980 1c Retained Strikethrough _1.jpg
    Built-up debris dropped from the face of the reverse die.
    1980 1c Strikethrough _2.jpg
    Built-up debris (partially retained) dropped from the face of the obverse die.
    1980 1c Strikethrough _1.jpg
    1980 1c Strikethrough _6.jpg

1980 1c Strikethrough _3.jpg

Built-up debris dropped from the face of the obverse die.
    1980 1c Strikethrough _4.jpg

1980 1c Strikethrough _5.jpg

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted