2008 Hawaii Quarter Errors?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jloring, Mar 13, 2012.

1. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Heard this in the news this morning. I have no idea how this story was picked up by the all-news Philly station. Since I don't collect errors, I was wondering if anyone else knew about this (or if it was "old" news that has resurfaced):

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2012/03/12/6181353.htm

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Very interesting. If you read to the end it seems like some might be a result of a die clash, like with the Ike Talon head?

4. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

5. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

This is totally stupid for anyone to call the Hawaii quarters extra island coins. This is only a couple of die gouges which all state quarters are extremely common for. you can find die gouges on state quarters from any state. This is just a total bunch of BS. This is the same type of hyped up BS as the extra leaf Wisconsin quarters received and caused a lot of folks to loose their butts on. a die gouge is only a die gouge no matter where it appears on a coin , another good example of a hyped up die gouge was the speared bison and burned many folks really good.

I am the original discover of the Minn. extra tree coins and the Oregon doubled die coins that some of us call the extra trees and rocks coins.Now these are the real Mc. Coy's and got on the coins because of the coin die was actually a doubled die.

some of you that fell for the bs and bought the speared bison and the extra leaf coins may not like what I wrote but the truth is the truth. next time learn about coins before buying them. Troy

6. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I like how the article and the person finding them says they are super rare, even though he claimed he found 75 of them in a month. That doesn't seem rare to me. ;)

7. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Other than the photos, the article in the original post was much more enlightening than the article in ErrorScope. I'll keep my eyes open for this variety (aka "error").

8. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

This is called hype and sometimes it will work for a few months then folks realizes they have been had.

9. Goto: " 2008 Hawaii quarter found with extra island"
    Type in search.

10. April 3,2012 issue of "numismatic news" announced possible new error coin "two extra islands" 2008 Hawaii state quarter.

Draft saved Draft deleted