2008 error quarter or PMD?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kevin Torpey, Apr 7, 2024.

1. Kevin Torpey

Kevin Torpey New Member

Is this 2008 Oklahoma quarter pmd or are there streaks across the coin from the mint? Probably nothing, but I thought I’d ask the experts. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

There is some heavy toning/corrosion (dark areas). The streaks are roller marks made during the mint process.

4. Kevin Torpey

Kevin Torpey New Member

Thanks for the reply. I guess it’s common and I haven’t seen that before.

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It's not a common occurrence but they are found on almost all denominations. Here are planchet striations on a Jefferson.
    upload_2024-4-7_8-43-28.jpeg
    upload_2024-4-7_8-43-46.jpeg

alurid likes this.
  6. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

The striations (lines) come from the rolling process for the material the planchets are punched from. The final thin material starts out as a very thick (inches) bar that is heated and sent through steel rollers (think old washtub with squeezing rubber rollers you great grandmother used) that progressively squeeze the material thinner and thinner until the desired thickness is reached. The steel rollers are not always perfectly smooth and leave tiny lines in the material. If you want to investigate more, look "up rolling" mill on the internet.

Do not confuse these roller marks with striations (lines) that occur in the material due to imperfections in the mixing of the metals that make up the final material. These are commonly called "woodies" because of their wood grain appearance.

Dscn0022.jpg Dscn0023.jpg

VistaCruiser69, alurid and Heavymetal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted