2008-D Alaska State Quarter - error or PMD

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by firesideguy, Jul 24, 2011.

1. firesideguy

firesideguy Member

Nothing really out of the ordinary - except - the grizzly's claw. This one looks to have 6 nails instead of 5. The 6th crosses over the 4th (counting from the top). I'm hoping this is a die crack or DDR. There are no markings to suggest it is PMD - though who knows. Maybe one of you?

Alaska_Grizzly_6-nail_Claw.jpg Alaska_Grizzly_Normal_Claw.jpg
    Scan on left is 6-nail - Right is normal 5-nail.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thecoinlover

thecoinlover Banned

Just seems like a nick split one of the fingers. PMD, Worth Face. It may be a die crack, you need expert! TcL

4. firesideguy

firesideguy Member

Just for fun, it's boring in a toll booth, I started paying closer attention to the 2008-P Alaska quarter and I found 2 others (total of 3) with similar location die crack or glob errors near the 4th nail. There are no nicks, cuts or external damage per se, near these claws.

(BTW, my original post erroneously identified the quarter as a 2008-D - it is a 2008-P and is also the first quarter
    in the scan below)

Alaska_Grizzly_All_Claw_Errors_75_pct.jpg

5. firesideguy

firesideguy Member

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm not thinkin' "post mint". You may be on to something here....

Me, I don't dabble in these sorts of things. Perhaps others more knowledgable will chime in. :)

7. Jon4485

Jon4485 Junior Member

8. firesideguy

firesideguy Member

Yes - it (they) does (do).

Though the first (in the original post and the same coin on the left in the 3 together above) looks more like an extra nail is crossed over the 4th nail.

The scan should be about 5 times the size of the quarter - hover over the picture until it opens and then click on it. Should be able to zoom at that point.

9. HowardStern

HowardStern Member

erra..looks like you are the first to find this error type! Congrats...and thank you for your post! This is what CT is all about.

10. firesideguy

firesideguy Member

OK so this may not be a big deal but I now have 40 of these 2008-P Alaska quarters and they all have something wrong with the claw/paw around the 4th nail. Seems to me this is a normality from the Philadelphia mint or a coincidence that all of the 2008-P Alaska quarters I've picked up all have this error. Perhaps the real error coin would be an un-flawed claw? ;)

Cecelia Valverde likes this.
  11. DaveMN

DaveMN Coin collector-Minnesota

Never could figure out how it can cost $3.25 to mail one quarter that was bid and won for 99 cents .. .

Tyler Graton likes this.
  12. Don't blame the seller, the Postal System can get pretty pricey

13. PittsburghMom

PittsburghMom Active Member

I just found the same kind of coin today except mine has another similar error on the "5" in 1959. Does yours have both or just the claw?

14. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

As far as I'm aware, the extra claw variety for the Alaska quarters is a legitimate error according to CONECA. The doubling on the date would be as a result of machine doubling. Another variety exists also for the Washington D.C. quarters too, doubling can be found and is very evident on the piano keys of the reverse.

15. g1rge

g1rge Member

I'm looking through a box of quarters now and have found 8 of these bear claw errors so far. Seems like a common occurance. I went to the CONECA site but can't find this listed. Where did you see it?

16. Terry Stevens

Terry Stevens New Member

Have you, or anyone, seen an Alaskan State Quarter (2008 P) with no serrations around the outside edge?

17. Superduck

Superduck New Member

A very interesting comment ! Thank You...

18. I have some also ,from what I have read they say it was done on purpose,but the coin I am looking at also has a p that could have been a d.

19. It was someone that put an article on the Ken Potter sight.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  20. Hotdog

Hotdog New Member

Me to I have one .ut it's still cool to find. I wish I new how to show pictures cause I have a 1963 nickle double mint marked in in uncirculated condition the top two steps show and I seen where a 64 d double mint marked sold for 4 tousand and no steps and wore quite Abit more than mine shoot I'm figuring on 5 grand after I get graded. His was Ms 65 mine I figured is Ms 67 +

Draft saved Draft deleted