2008 american buffalo proof and uncirculated gold coins

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by elaine 1970, Jul 21, 2008.

1. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

american buffalo proof and uncirculated gold coins will be on sale starting july 22, 2008. let's see if these items will be hot when gold is high?. how it will compare to american eagle series?. what you think?.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I won't be ordering any.

4. wesleyscott

wesleyscott Senior Member

As much as I like the Gold Buffalo's much more than the Gold American Eagles, with the high price of gold, I don't think they will be worth much more than bullion price. The fractionals will probably be popular for a good while at first though, though the mint says that there are no order limits (for now).

5. Haleiwa

Haleiwa New Member

I will be certain to purchase a few. I'm sure glad I bought the 06's and 07's too. Gold is going to climb. Mark my words. When gold is at $1200 you will thank me.

6. elaine 1970

buffalo gold

i like 1/4 oz. it is almost the size of buffalo nickel. but then the price is high.

7. Booner

Booner Member

Have to agree with Elaine, the price is very high. I guess it just depends on whether you are looking at any of these coins as as investment or you just want to start a new series. Because the Buffalo nickel is my wife's favorite coin (along with the Indian Head penny) I will buy one. Probably the 1/4 ounce because of the size (mentioned above), but I haven't decided on BU or proof. This will be our first gold coin so to me the investment doesn't count for as much as the coin/design itself. Our anniversary is next month and I'm trying really hard to keep her interest level high!

8. elaine 1970

to booner

if she is not a collector. then proof. look better and beautiful.

9. Booner

Booner Member

Elaine 1970, I will probably go with the proof. I didn't mention earlier, but she has a collection of Buffalo nickels in a dansco, bout 75% complete, and we just purchased the 1937-D 3 legged for her last week. That is off to be slabbed, so the 1/4 ounce gold ones would be nice to start a set of.

Tim

10. elaine 1970

to booner

then, buy one proof and one uncirculated 1/4 oz buffalo gold coins for her. anyway, she is your wife.

11. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

If you are going to buy the set(s)/coin(s), the time is now because as many of us know, if the price of gold goes up so will the mint's prices.... but on the flip side - if the price of gold drops then the price will stay the same. That's just the way the mint operates. The price of these sets will never be cheaper than they are now.

12. elaine 1970

it may lower

the mint can lower the prices. it did before. but recently. never.

13. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

They can....but they won't.

14. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

joe is giving advice. how cute i am so happy :D

15. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

There is a fee for that! I will send you the bill. :hammer:

16. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I'm not buying at the ripoff prices the mint currently wants, $130 for a tenth worth $96-98 is highway robbery. Max for me would be spot plus 10% for something with no numismatic value, of which I define modern bullion as. They want spot plus 33-35%, ridiculous.

17. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Even at $1200 you'd have to go some to make a profit. Buying a one ounce Buffalo at $1200 you would just break even. The 1/2 ouncers are 3 1/3 % behind that at $1240 / oz, the 1/4 ouncers are equivalent to $1320 / oz and the 1/10's are at $1600 / oz. That's all assuming that you can sell these MS69's at spot, which isn't guaranteed. Gold has to climb about 25% for your plan to work.

18. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

be nice if i sent you a bill you would owe me your entire collection :D

19. elaine 1970

silver buffalo nickel size

why not produce a silver buffalo nickel size?.

20. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Or a silver fractionial set...... like the British do.... Base Metal, Silver, Gold and Platinum.

Attached Files:

21. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

you know how much the british charge? you want all of us to stop collecting completely :D

Draft saved Draft deleted