2007 Sacagawea Dollar silver?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by darcybourdo, Nov 10, 2011.

1. darcybourdo

darcybourdo New Member

I have never seen one before anywhere, not even online. A Silver 2007 Sacagawea Dollar coin. Does any one know more about this coin? Thought it just came in gold. Thank you ~

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I'm guessing that it was plated after the fact. I'm not aware of any SAC that is silver. Have you weighed it?

4. darcybourdo

darcybourdo New Member

No i haven't weigh it yet ~ I got this coin from the world reserve monetary exchange. How could i tell if its plated by the weight?

5. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

A SAC is made of copper-zinc-manganese-nickel. It should weigh about 8.07 grams. If it weighs more, it might be silver

6. darcybourdo

darcybourdo New Member

7. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Looks post mint plated most likely. To my knowledge, the Mint did not make silver Sac dollars. It's now worth, a dollar. ;)

8. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

Could it have been struck on a quarter planchet? < Probably an obvious reason why not, but I thought I'd ask.

9. darcybourdo

darcybourdo New Member

What is the reasons for them to want to plate it?

10. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Looks chemically treated or possibly plated. Details are mushy enough to suggest plating... Definitely no "silver" Sac. dollar or struck on 25c. planchet. Sorry!

-Brian

11. darcybourdo

darcybourdo New Member

Thank you all for your reply's :) That helps a lot ~

12. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Neither gold or silver.

Copper, zinc, manganese, and nickle.

Looks like someone invested the time and effort into removing the outer copper layer.

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Are you buying coins from them? From what I've seen, they're very overpriced.

Chris

14. darcybourdo

darcybourdo New Member

I have bought from them before not any more ~ now they just send me coins for free here and there. I will find out about this coin ~ Its just hard to believe someone would take the time to make theses and why. :) added new pic of the coin out of the case.

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

People do it all the time. I guess they don't have anything better to do.

Chris

16. phdunay

phdunay Member

Probably silver plated, looks that way, wouldn't be a quarter planchet because the sac is bigger and the whole coin is still struck. I think it looks pretty nice in silver

17. bigrick113

bigrick113 New Member

My wife found a SAC (silver) no date and E pluribus unum with stars all the way around the rim. When dropped on a hard surface it sounds silver as compared to the brass one. Anyone have info about this one?

18. bigrick113

bigrick113 New Member

My wife found a SAC (silver) no date and E pluribus unum with stars all the way around the rim. When dropped on a hard surface it sounds silver as compared to the brass one. Anyone have info about this one?

19. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

What does it weigh? And a picture wouldhelp ,most likely plated like the above coin.

20. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Yes, the metal content is copper, zinc, manganese, and nickel, not brass.

If it's not the light yellowish/copper color, it's either plated, or the outer layer was removed.

21. Taopaths

Taopaths New Member

Here's the key to these Sacagawea dollar. I have 1 in hand, it clearly states *.999 Fine Silver Enriched. = there's the key ENRICHED. Someone took the time. The coin I have in hand is boxed with official vault # blah blah It's a dipped coin.

Kasia likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted