2007 President Series

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Coinstruck89, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Coinstruck89

Coinstruck89 Active Member

So I’m new to collecting and don’t have a collection yet and ran across this on letgo. Paid 1$ a coin! Did I waste my money?

Attached Files:

tommyc03 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You did just fine.

Insider and Coinstruck89 like this.
  4. Coinstruck89

Thanks, He has about 17 more tubes all original sealed, thinking about getting them all of him

5. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Well, not wasted if you bought them for a dollar each and they are still worth at least a dollar! If it were me, I would probably search them very carefully (avoid finger prints, skin oil, etc) for errors. Particularly Missing Edge Lettering (MEL) on any of them but especially George Washington. Then, I would keep a few of the nicest ones for my Dansco and backup folders and try and sell the rest to local collectors / dealers for a premium. That's just me though.....

Insider likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Coinstruck89

I'd be very surprised if you found any errors at all. For that matter, you might not find any one coin that graded higher than, maybe, MS65 or MS66 because these coins were probably submitted for bulk grading, but they did not meet the minimum grading requirement of the original submitter.

Personally, I'd leave them in the unbroken tubes certified by ICG. What say you, @Insider ?

Chris

Coinstruck89 likes this.
  7. Coinstruck89

Are Rubber gloves good for searching through coins, haven’t had a chance to get any velvet or softer material gloves

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

You did just fine. If the tubes are clear and you can see the edge lettering there's no need to crack the tubes. Very few other errors worth searching for unless it's missing lettering. These rolls have increased in price so it's a safe bet you would be able to make a profit on ebay as they are, sealed.

Coinstruck89 likes this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

You would probably be better off by washing and rinsing your hands carefully and handling the coins by the edge only.

Cheech9712 and Coinstruck89 like this.
  10. Coinstruck89

There not clear, and that’s what has me anxiously pondering about the possibility of finding one with missing lettering just to say I found one, the guy has 17 more tubes for me when I’m ready so I think I might just take a chance on opening these little guys

11. Coinstruck89

I bought a couple all white handkerchiefs today when I got these, is it ok to handle them inside the Hanky’s?

12. Kentucky

Gloves increase the chance of dropping a coin due to the lack of touch, and a handkerchief would make it almost zero. Clean hands, be careful over a table with a soft cloth.

Cheech9712 and Coinstruck89 like this.
  13. Coinstruck89

Gotcha, thanks for the input, Enjoy your day and I’ll post if I find something interesting

Kentucky likes this.
  14. Kentucky

Good luck

Coinstruck89 likes this.
  15. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I have proofs still in their boxes from the mid 50's. I know it's tempting but will add value in the long run. Think about it for like 50 years then decide. You did well. Their in a safe place.

16. Coinstruck89

Thanks Man, I’ll keep that in mind, I just started searching and hunting a couple weeks ago and I’m getting Hooked

17. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

People still use handkerchiefs? Egadds, I hated it when my Dad and Father in law would blow their nose and stick it back in their pockets.

18. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'm an errors and variety person. I know that feeling of temptation well. But I also know the euphoria of cracking my rolls to find major doubled dies also.

Coinstruck89 likes this.
  19. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yeah, it is cool and a lot of fun to find errors, but I have had more luck finding them from original Mint packaging like mint sets, proof sets and bags & rolls that I bought directly from the Mint. You don't want to forget that ICG has already inspected these coins. Otherwise, they wouldn't claim that they will grade at least MS63. And, I'm sure that they were fully aware of the missing lettering errors that occurred in the earliest specimens.

My one and only find from the Prez dollars came from a Mint roll of 2007P Washington Missing Partial Edge Lettering. When I found it (2007), I submitted it for authentication to NGC. About 5-6 years later, it sold at auction on eBay for $228.

Chris

tommyc03 and Coinstruck89 like this.
  20. Coinstruck89

would you Guys consider .4 off weight Questionable for concern or common thing to find with the dollar coins?

21. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's a little high. .1 or .2 is normal. The .4 is probably within tolerance, but if they are all short, something is not right.
    OK, so the mint tolerance on those coins are +/- .3
    So while it is not within tolerance, it's not too far off. Plus, it could be the scale too. If they are ALL off, then there is an issue.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted