2007 Lincoln Penny Major error??

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by kimandbrad21, Dec 22, 2011.

1. kimandbrad21

kimandbrad21 New Member

Alright first off, before you reply:::::::::::::;; I am new to all of this, i do not know terms, i have a point and shoot camera and i am trying my best to get pictures, i had over 50 shots on this coin and came up with only a few that were worth a damn, I will tell you i wasnt pleased with my results in adding this already to whats it worth area and mostly got bashed for my crappy photos, yes the photos are crappy but i believe i am in a coin talk area where photos should not be the first thing people talk about in errors of a coin, sorry my two cents. Ive been collecting coins for awhile, i am sure this is a true error please read everything about this coin before you reply back. everyone hates having to retype something that is already said here. not trying to come across rude im a very nice person looking for answers.

1st off.... this bad boy has almost never been circulated......... only tops of 4 tiny micro scratchs. if i get some info from someone on here on how much it could cost i will send it out to a 3rd party to have it looked at and confirmed, but its a penny and i have 2 kids so money is a little tight sometimes to be paying alot to have someone incase it and write what it is.

took a x30 jewler loop and took and croped and all that stuff to bring to you some pictures, this bad boy is hard to get a picture with a point and shoot camera so sorry about the exposer rates and stuff, but i got as close as i could. all the flaws are seen within 5x to 10x magnifine glass. but pulled out the x30 to get details for everyone. like everyone else........... i kinda am interested in finding out what it is worth and if there are more....... i will tell you one thing........ non of the marks are after mint. no marks of sanding or anything and im frankly put that you cannot move letters on a coin lol but here are some things enjoy and please let us know any info. pass along to others to see if they know anything as well. more pictures to come also

coin info, the 2007 is very wavy, i thought maybe it was a fake coin but vdb is on it, and other key elements of a real coin.

the flaws on the face side with lincoln: L in (liberty) looks close to looking like a letter "C".... the B in (liberty) looks close to looking like the number "8" , the R in (liberty) looks like an uppercase "A", as said before the 2007 mark looks very wavy, on the front slight parts are removed from the edges, you can clearly see them in the pictures above.

the back side flaws: The E in (United) looks close to looking like this "I" with faint extensions of the rest of the letter E..... E.PLURIBUS.UNUM. is almost unreadable.

Copper colored with slight hints of silver in color, the coin is truly almost uncirculated i count maybe 4 tiny micro scratchs if that....

butteryfly1.jpg butterfly.jpg

the 2007 is weird i will tell you that, the 2nd "0" in 2007 has a defined ghost close to the "7" in 2007
    butteryfly2.jpg

alright, so there are some pictures, i hope to spend more time with the coin and see if i can get clear shots, if something is what you think after mint damage please let me know, if you know how it was caused or an idea please let me know, this is just a coin to me and not my show winning coins, im open to everthing, if someone clearly states that this could be worth more then sure i'll send it off. but i like showing my findings to everyone as conversation starters. thanks for looking

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

4. kimandbrad21

kimandbrad21 New Member

5. kimandbrad21

kimandbrad21 New Member

6. kimandbrad21

kimandbrad21 New Member

in the last picture you can see the color tones, they are copper and silverish in color, that is not an error of the picture that is the color of it

7. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

kim&brad,

The moderators usually prefer that you start only one thread per topic.

8. kimandbrad21

kimandbrad21 New Member

cool i will ask that they delete the one in whats it worth and keep this one here sense it is an error coin, thanks for the info on the coin again, oh wait two post and you havnt said a thing about the coin, 2 comments on the picture and about a thread. interesting

9. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

What you have got here is a coin that is not PMD . this is a coin that was struck with a worn out coin die. I find these every now and then when roll searching. I have a dime that is much more dramatic than your coin and I will give it to you if you want it. when the dies wears out the coins looks awful. Pm me if you want the dime and you can use it to help you know what you have when you find a coin with die detoration. Troy

Stevearino likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm truly sorry that you take offense so easily, but there is nothing anyone can do if the photos are just not adequate. Rarely will you find anyone who will "sand" a coin, but yes, it is possible to move metal in the date, post-Mint.

Chris

11. kimandbrad21

kimandbrad21 New Member

Thank you for more info on it, i will be reading up on more info to help myself out, thanks for the offer on the dime. Would anyone know what the rim marks are from? i know by just reading on here alot of people call them file marks as after mint someone gets the edges all messed up with a file. but the penny keeps same color over all of the rim area meaning it doesnt go copper then silver then copper while looking under 20x

12. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Die deterioration doubling.

13. kimandbrad21

kimandbrad21 New Member

thanks for the info chris, i just dont see the point of giving people a hard time on the internet, maybe its just the way some people talk and sense we all are reading its hard to tell how things are said, but ive always had that problem. also i think this one will go up to a coin dealer here about 5 minutes away and let him have a look, if nothing im going to put it in a sleve and keep it for awhile, its cool looking and sure jumped my eyes right over to it in 25 dollars worth of rolls lol.

14. kimandbrad21

kimandbrad21 New Member

if it truly is a die deterioration and also slight doubling, would anyone have a clue of the value of it?

15. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

The doubling you are talking about is not the type of doubling that collectors pays extra for , this is die detoration doubling because of the worn out dies. hey don't feel bad at yourself , I remember how I was a long time ago when I first got interested in coins. Troy

16. kimandbrad21

kimandbrad21 New Member

ah, its nothing i feel bad about just making sure it wasnt one of a kind thing, ive seen doubling before and because it wasnt that type i wasnt sure, thanks for the info everyone

17. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

You'd need to supply quality photos of the entire coin, front and back. Right now I can't decide whether it's die deterioration or a "rippled" coin (post-strike alteration). I suspect the latter.

joe the foe shmo likes this.
  18. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Welcome to CoinTalk. It is a real pleasure to have you as a new member.

19. Jbaca17

Jbaca17 New Member

I found the exact same penny so and have been looking for answers so not a keeper???

20. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Not a keeper. Die Deterioration is quite common. Just an ugly plated Zinc Cent :(

tomfiggy likes this.
  21. Franklin Ward

Franklin Ward New Member

I'm pretty new to coin collecting but I went to a bank a couple weeks ago and got $20 worth of pennies. I was looking through the last of them on Thanksgiving morning and doing research at the same time. I always set aside 1969 coins and I found an article about the 1969s ddo, I went through my 69 jar and found 3 1969s pennies. Well,,,,,, upon closer inspection, I realized that,,,,,,, yup one is a slight double strike, not obvious to the naked eye but with magnification all the letters in Liberty have shadowing and so do the gateway posts at the entrance to the memorial. There are more spots also but on the rim you can see the off strike line plainly. So,,,,, the coin is in decent condition, any guesses on the value before I take it to a shop n play dumb?

Draft saved Draft deleted