2007 Lincoln cent - grayish toning - planchet or plating issue?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by AmishJedi, Oct 1, 2020.

1. AmishJedi

AmishJedi Well-Known Member

Hello CT,

I found an odd (odd to me at least) colored 2007 Lincoln cent in my latest box hunt - stumped on what it is - any thoughts from the experts?

-pictures of a "regular" 2007 alongside the gray colored one (obverse, reverse & rims) attached
    -the rim on the gray cent is solid in color - all of the way around the coin
    -diameter and thickness appear to be the same for both coins
    -you can see some of the red color peeking out under microscope - original luster is present
    -strike/surfaces on the gray cent seems OK - not worn, or pitted like you would expect from acid/chemical damage
    -no signs of cleaning or polishing that I can see
    -researched online for another cent example like it, and came up empty

Is this a plating issue (thin plating perhaps) or something else? Would love to hear what the verdict is - I know this isn't valuable, I'm just curious. When you see a gray cent pop up under all the red/copper, it gets your attention. LOL

Thanks all!

Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Coins tone differently due to the environment it was stored in. Imo I don't think it's anything special as I've seen them in all colors. It's a coin I would keep just because I like the way it looks.

AmishJedi likes this.
  4. AmishJedi

Thanks, Thomas - definitely a keeper.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just toning. Welcome to CT.

AmishJedi likes this.
  6. AmishJedi

Thanks - this site is awesome. So much information and insight - glad to be a part of the community.

Cheers.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You're welcome and glad to have you here. You just need to be able to deal with all of our humor and personalities.

AmishJedi likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted