2007 gold George Washington dollar

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by PamR, May 8, 2021.

1. TonkawaBill

TonkawaBill Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

Good morning. Just a question. Not teaching but in the set of three coins together, comparing the three, the left one looks so different. I understand the finger print answer. Thanks.

4. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

hey @PamR yea that's fingerprints on your coins. super good pictures. good job! good luck to ya

CoinJockey73 and PamR like this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What is so different about the coin on the left?

6. PamR

Thank you. Yes fingerprint.
    I know the edges if writing on the edge, that face up, writing is right side up and others upside down.

mike estes likes this.
  7. PamR

His hair, etc. Unless it’s a harder strike. Just wanted to ask. I promise I have been studying lol.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Manganese brass reacts with the environment easily and in different ways. The end result is frequently an unpleasantly grey color.

The end-of-the-roĺl coins would have had less exposure to the roll paper outgasing but more exposure to the environment outside the roll...

Cheech9712 and PamR like this.
  9. Burton Strauss III

Coins in the same roll are not typically sequential from a sngle press. One of the coins could have come from the die that clashed and was polished before being returned to use. Polishing removes the clash marks but also some finer detail.

Every coin travels a unique journey from the alloy (which could be improperly mixed or slightly different from batch to batch) to the striking (things that affect dies and machines and thus multiple coi s) to the time it reaches your hand.

PamR likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You can't look at coins that have been in circulation, even for a short time, and think that their appearance should be exactly the same. Even coins that end up in the collection bins after they have been struck at the Mint can take on their own unique appearance.

PamR likes this.
  11. PamR

Gotcha. Thanks!

12. PamR

Thank you! Very interesting and makes very good sense. Every coin is unique in its own way. Thanks again!

Cheech9712 likes this.
  13. PamR

Thanks again. As I said to Burton. Makes clear sense. All coins are unique in their own their own way. I do have to get the scope that connects to my computer as someone suggested. I know and have learned more of what to look at. But all have their beauty in their own way, error or not. Ty!

14. Burton Strauss III

Very roughly @PamR, you can focus on Mint State coins: Where you are looking to collect the most perfectly preserved example of the Mint's artistry.

Or you can focus on circulated coins - IMNSHO coins as they were intended to be used. In that realm, never lose the sense of wonder because people have used and abused coins in countless ways over the millennia.

Every time you think you understand the abuse people can do to coins, they find something new. How long after the locomotive was invented do you think it took for somebody to wonder what happens if I put a half-cent on the tracks in front of it...

i.e. you can never make something idiot-proof, the universe keeps inventing better idiots.

PamR likes this.
  15. Burton Strauss III

Very roughly @PamR, you can focus on Mint State coins: Where you are looking to collect the most perfectly preserved example of the Mint's artistry.

Or you can focus on circulated coins - IMNSHO coins as they were intended to be used. In that realm, never lose the sense of wonder because people have used and abused coins in countless ways over the millennia.

Every time you think you understand the abuse people can do to coins, they find something new. How long after the locomotive was invented do you think it took for somebody to wonder what happens if I put a half-cent on the tracks in front of it...

i.e. you can never make something idiot-proof, the universe keeps inventing better idiots.

CoinJockey73 and PamR like this.
  16. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

What about, "What did the five fingers, say to the face?"?

I believe that is considered an exception, as well.

eddiespin and PamR like this.
  17. PamR

Understand! Most coins I have is from my dad. Have been going through some he had in his travels. And yes so many people abuse coins. The first two I found, one I presented to Fred. It was completely abused and altered and then a dipped penny. Learned a lot since then. So I pulled out coins of my dad’s. Beautiful foreign and U.S.A. Coins. Thanks a bunch!

18. PamR

Ouch! You hit hard! Lol.

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Cuz not all mammal have thumbs if they have fingers. My dog has a hard time holding his beer at times

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    PamR and William F like this.
  20. Cheech9712

21. Cheech9712

That’s good news. Thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted