2007 D Penny

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by rww67, Feb 6, 2016.

1. rww67

rww67 Member

This 2007 D Penny appears to be plated and the weight is 2.6 grams,looking for some input.Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Your pics are very hard to interpret.

The modern cent is most definitely plated (by the mint). It is a pure copper plate over a zinc core.

Are you saying that your cent is something other than that? If so, then yes, that is also common (you'll see gold or silver plate by post-mint marketers, trying to sell you something special). These are considered post-mint damage, and are basically worthless.

4. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

5. rww67

rww67 Member

I understand the plating since mid 1982.I am not saying I was asking and you answered my question,post mint plating,thank you.This is the first one I have found I'll keep it because it's nice looking.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

While your coin doesn't look too bad (OP) I hate most forms of plating, as it seems a detriment to the design elements. Back in 2005/06 the mint issued a Westward Journey Nickel set with a Sacajawea dollar and a silver plated (over bronze) Peace Medal. I wish they would have either struck the medal in silver or just have left it in it's original (bronze) state as it cheapens the design elements of the medal.

Welcome to the forum rww67. :)

rww67 likes this.
  7. rww67

rww67 Member

I agree, it's as if it depletes a coins legitimacy of what it supposed to represent.

Draft saved Draft deleted