2007 Canadian Proof Nickel Maybe accumulations error? pretty extreme!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jjohnson3582506, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Can someone identify this error. Accumulations is what my research says but that error usually is only a few die chips around the date. This nickel is all lettering obverse and most of the reverse. Also, would this be something of value?

Thanks

Jeremy Johnson zoom 1.JPG zoom 2.JPG zoom 3.JPG zoom 4.JPG

PassthePuck likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Photos of both sides of the entire coin would help a lot. Thank you.

4. SamuelFred1

SamuelFred1 I Guess I'm Kind Of a Decent Member at This Point?

Looks like die deterioration doubling to me.

Spark1951 likes this.
  5. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

Could you give us a photo of the full obverse of the coin? If my guess is right and the doubling is limited to a quadrant of the coin, then I think it is some kind of true pivoted doubling.

6. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It isn't a Proof for one. Looks like die deterioration and machine doubling.

7. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

Proof? No clue. DDD on Reverse? Guess so. MD on the Obverse? Well they say, "never say never", but that certainly doesn't look like any MD I've ever seen. Of course a full view of the Obverse would help.

8. Sorry for the late response will send obverse when i get home. its in my album and im at work

9. Here are some more photos 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

10. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

That's a Proof and that's from a Doubled Die! (IMHO that is). Heavier on "Elizabeth" then appears to lessen. Will have to go back to the books to figure out its "Type" is. Any help from those with better memories would be appreciated. Oh, and thanks for the additional photos. BTW, the doubling on "BETH" is so pronounced, can you see it with the naked eye???

PassthePuck likes this.
  11. I sent a reply a few days ago but it’s not showing up on my end. So I’ll try again. Yes I can see it without magnification. Do you think I have a coin of value possibly? If so what would be the next step?

thanks

12. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

This is 100% die deterioration doubling.

thomas mozzillo and Kentucky like this.
  13. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

What makes you think it’s a proof? Look up a Canadian proof nickel from 2007 and compare images.

14. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

Mr. Diamond I've followed you for years and truly appreciate your expertise. However, in the instant case I couldn't disagree more. The coin is clearly a proof and implicitly, if not explicitly significant additional care is given in the production of these coins; there is no reason to believe that wouldn't extent to the life cycle of the die. Why they didn't pick up on the fact that the die had been doubled is anybody's guess, but the reasons are probably in line with why Proofs end up being doubled in this Country.

Now having said all of that, though I am in my 70's it is never to late to learn something new, especially when it comes to nuances of events that can generally only be obtained by many, many years of hands on experience. As such, I and I hope others, would really appreciate hearing what in your observations led to your conclusion. Semper Fidelis, John

15. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

While there doesn't appear to be a great difference in Proof and PL Canadian nickels, instead of trying to determine the category by photos, maybe we can ask the OP to put a magnet to it. At nearly 95% Steel for the Business strike and Sterling Silver for the Proof, if it sticks and sticks hard (it is possible that a SS coins composition could have up to 7.5% of a magnetic metal, so it might stick but should not stick like steel), then I humbly stand corrected:):):).

16. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Fallguy likes this.
  17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Mike Diamond didn't say that the coin wasn't a proof.
    What he said was it is 100% die deterioration doubling. (Worthless doubling).

18. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

I would also like to see the results of a magnet test, as well as a weight of the coin

19. Michael K

Canadian nickels from 2003- present are made out of: 94.5% steel, 3.5% copper, 2% nickel plating. So it should stick to a magnet.

20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

...but not the proofs?

21. Michael K

Do they have silver proofs?
    Then that wouldn't stick.

Draft saved Draft deleted