2007 Canadian 2 Dollar -- Incomplete Planchet error??

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by SensibleSal66, Feb 28, 2024.

1. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Was wondering if this coin is legit or not. My opinion is , NO! I don't see a "Blakesley effect" and there appears to be groove along the cut or filed down area? What do you all think? Not too familiar with these coins. Sorry.
    Here are the Pics:
    Canada 1.jpg Canada2.jpg Canada 3.jpg 20240227_153416.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That coin would not have a Blakesley effect because of the way it is made.
    It is a Bi Metallic Planchet. The outer ring is made separately from the middle core.
    So, the process is a bit different for it to have the effect. They are joined together at a later point.

4. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

I'm seeing a tiny bit of thickening on the rim on the obverse. Right at 4 o'clock ss the photo is rotated.

Z

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Can you show the right foot of the bear. There are fakes that are known as "camel-toed" toonies that are Chinese fakes and that may be one. Even though they are 2-piece, they are put together before the strike and struck together, so there should be a Blakesley. Yes, the "cut" appears strange and not like a clip.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    Pickin and Grinin and paddyman98 like this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Yeah, the ridge or raised metal at the clip has me thinking PMD. The metal should fall into the clip, looks like displaced metal to me.

7. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

In the straight on shot of the obverse and reverse the "clip" looks straight. So, this may be an end /side of sheet error rather than your typical incomplete planchet error (although they are both incomplete).

Draft saved Draft deleted