2006 satin finish mint sets ??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mike Davis, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

I seem to be having trouble. Were there two different uncirculated mint sets made in 2006? One containing satin finish coins and the other with business strikes, or were all of the sets made contained the satin finish?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I found this if it helps
    2006 Uncirculated Mint Set

The 2006 Mint Set continued the use of the new satin finish that had been introduced for the product in the prior year. This year also marked the “Return to Monticello” for the Jefferson Nickel, which saw its original reverse design restored, paired with a new obverse design from Jamie Franki.

The US Mint announced the start of sales on July 18, which was more than six weeks later than the prior year release date. Each set would include a total of 20 coins with a face value of $5.82. Satin finish examples from the Philadelphia and Denver Mints were included for the Sacagawea Dollar, Kennedy Half Dollar, Roosevelt Dime, Jefferson Nickel, and Lincoln Cent.

Continuing to be a highlight of the annual coin set were the five State Quarters. The 2006 releases honored Nevada, Nebraska, Colorado, North Dakota, and South Dakota, which were the thirty-sixth to fortieth states to join the union.

Although the number of coins per set was reduced from the previous year, the price remained the same at $16.95 per set. Final reported sales for the 2006 Mint Set were 847,361 units, falling nearly to the recent low set with the 2004 Mint Set.

Packaging remained within a similar style with the coins included in four different mylar packs. Two represented coins from the Philadelphia Mint, while the other two represented coins from the Denver Mint. These were placed along with a certificate of authenticity into illustrated outer envelopes, which featured depictions of the Liberty Bell and the mountains of Colorado.

Mike Davis likes this.
  4. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

Maybe I should ask, what is the difference between satin finish and enhanced finish?

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

J know what your asking but I'll just answer the price the US Mint sells them for.

6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

an enhanced uncirculated finish using a combination of laser frosted areas and an unpolished field that accentuates design details, creating a unique contrast distinctly different from the mirror–like finish of proof coins.

Mike Davis likes this.
  7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No.

Yes.

That said, to look at them, not all of them "looked like" they had a satin finish. Many of the coins looked to have a ordinary business strike finish because the satin finish wears off the dies with use.

This issue was especially problematic with the first year of the satin finish - 2005. In subsequent years the mint got better at changing out the dies as they wore, but there were pretty much always some coins in the annual sets that "looked like" they had an ordinary business strike finish.

8. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

the mint sets in 2005-2010 were "satin finish", that was it. If you wanted "business strikes" you had to get them from circulation ect. as the only way to do it, or buy rolls or bags from the mint of business strikes.

Satin finish = sandblasted dies
    Enhanced finish = laser etched that give a frosted appearance, and unpolished areas.
    for comparison, on the PCGS Website
    satin = https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2008-p-sac-1-satin-finish/394944
    enhanced uncirculated = https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin...nhanced-coin-currency-set-first-strike/546369
    Regular business strike = https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2008-p-sac-1/394943

there's differences, but nothing drastic I would say. enhanced and satin are similar, but I think the enhanced is a bit more precise in the stippling effect, heavier in some areas and lighter in others to add a bit of depth, and like they leave the faces and other things alone on this example, while satin is like "just hit everything with a sandblaster"

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted