2006 penny pulls on magnet

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Wilddavy, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Wilddavy

Wilddavy Active Member

I thought it been weathered, but looks diff from the rest I seen well I tried the mag to it and it pulls in it so not sure what's y'alls thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If a magnet attracts it it is almost certainly nickel plated.

Wilddavy likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks plated.

Wilddavy likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Old magicians coin that got lost in change by a magician. I have a magic trick using a special plated Cent and a magnet.

Wilddavy likes this.
  6. Wilddavy

Wilddavy Active Member

What's that mean plated ? Like with what. I guess

7. Wilddavy

Wilddavy Active Member

To funny my wife said the same thing lol

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

By the way.. A magnet would pull on a metal that is ferromagnetic.. Not the other way around.

Wilddavy likes this.
  9. Wilddavy

Wilddavy Active Member

Man I tell ya what I love about this group keep on learning everyday.
    Mr obvious lol.

JeffC, Kentucky and paddyman98 like this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Zinc Cents are plated with a thin layer of copper. Reprocessed 1943 Cents are plated. You can take a copper cent and apply nickel to the coin. Now it's plated.

Wilddavy likes this.
  11. Wilddavy

Wilddavy Active Member

I see. Thanks.

12. Wilddavy

Wilddavy Active Member

The coin was struck on the wrong planchet
    But thanks for help. Lol

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

See post #2.

If it was struck on a wrong planchet, what planchet and where did it come from? No other US coin around that year is magnetic, and the mint has not struck coins for other countries since 1984 (except the iceland 1000 Kr in 2000, MUCH too large) This make the chance of a wrong planchet almost zero, and the chance of it being nickel plated many orders of magnitude more likely.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Wilddavy and Oldhoopster like this.
  14. Wilddavy

Wilddavy Active Member

Look on error coins .com it shows you I will forward a email address and show you.

15. Wilddavy

Wilddavy Active Member

Try this site it mite help you like it did me The one in the picture is a 1997. Weird huh real head scratcher since they stoped in 84 you say lol.

Attached Files:

16. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@Wilddavy

If you're certain it was struck on the wrong planchet, why didn't you provide the weight?? That is the quickest and easiest way to prove/disprove wrong planchet errors. But since it's magnetic, it can't be a US coin as @Conder101 said. The pic you show in post 14 isn't a coin struck on a foreign planchet. It actually looks like an unplated cent, but I suppose it could be a dime planchet (they didn't provide the weights or details of the pictured coin. What help is that?) So Conder101's comment isn't really that much of a head scratcher, is it?

This issue of Mint error news has a link to a large spread sheet with every foreign coin type made at the US mint. It also lists weights, compositions and size. You can do some research to see if there are any that match the size and weight of your coin and were struck near 2006 or shortly before. BTW: I'm sure that someone with as much experience as Conder101 is familiar with this link

https://minterrornews.com/news-5-13-03-foreigners_in_the_mint.html

17. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

That article you point to has a strange anomaly to it

but first
    (1) if you read the entire article, for instance the last paragraph, you'll see what the other posters are asking ..
    (2) the article you refer to on https://varietyerrors.com/wrong-planchet-coin-error-price-guide/, lifted the image with the 1997 D and 1961 D from CoinTalk from Feb 2013.
    =====
    upload_2019-10-25_9-29-53.png
    =====

The 1997 D and 1961 D from CoinTalk from Feb 2013 as is seen in this CT thread
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/19...g-size-un-plated-wrong-planchet-ideas.222451/
    =====
    upload_2019-10-25_9-30-17.png
    =====

Thus the article's image of the 1997 D and 1961 D cents have no correlation to the article. And is just plain bizarre @GDJMSP
    And the article only identifies cents up to 1965 on their chart.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  18. frech001

frech001 New but Old

More likely it was iron plated as the coin shows some evidence of rust.

The very next video shows nickel plating. Fun with chemistry.

Kentucky likes this.
  19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They don't specifically say it is on a different planchet, give a weight or any other information. To me it looks like it is slightly larger than the 1961 but the lettering is all the way out by the rim. That wouldn't be possible

If it was on a dime planchet it would be smaller and part of the lettering would be off the coin

Thank you clawcoin for tracking down the source of the image. No plating, larger than it should be, a "Texas cent" (Regular cent put between tow pieces of leather and beaten, it causes the coin to increase in size proportionally. And for some reason when done with zinc cents causes them to lose their plating.)

Wilddavy likes this.
  20. Wilddavy

Wilddavy Active Member

all i am saying is the coin is on the wrong planchet but i do thank you for your time and know it all knowledge, happy hunting to all god bless

21. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Draft saved Draft deleted