2006 Lincoln Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Leesee, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Leesee

Leesee Member

This penny I found is rainbow in color. Can anyone tell me if someone made it that way or is it an error?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

PMD. The copper layer is very reactive to all kinds of chemicals/materials.
    This one was exposed to something. Basically... roadkill.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's just toned. Nice but normal on a zinc coin.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Environmentaly toned. Chemical reaction.
    That did not occur at the mint.

And some people know what I have to say about rainbow toning in the past :yack:

6. Leesee

Leesee Member

Thanks everyone

7. Roseland3

Roseland3 Active Member

Wash your hands.

8. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

heat can cause a rainbow effect too. I read (dont know if true) has something to do with the melting point of each zinc and copper.... zinc being beneath the copper

9. Kyle H.

Kyle H. Member

Ok please help. I have a 2006 black almost a wood grain texture. Raidius is bigger the a normal penny bur smaller then a nickel.
    Thinkness is normal for 2006. None of the coin is worn. What is this? 15767488586918529866589807114299.jpg

alurid likes this.
  10. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk.
    I think you may have a Texas Penny. A cent that has been pressed between two pieces of leather to make it stretch and enlarged.
    You will get more results if you start your own post instead of tagging onto one that was started by another member.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  11. Kyle H.

Kyle H. Member

Sorry. Thank you i will be sure to do that. Im just getting into coins and i am wanting to learn all i can. Is there any value in the coin? Also how would the thickness stay the same and the print not be destorted?

12. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Your coin is now considered a curio or novelty and has no real numismatic value.
    Still worth keeping in my opinion though.
    I assume you are measuring the thickness on the edge of your coin, this dimension will not make a noticeable change as the leather allows the pressure applied to be distributed evenly in a horizontal direction and not in a vertical one.

texas ¢ (6).jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Kyle H. likes this.
  13. Kyle H.

Kyle H. Member

I am greatful for the info. I think its interesting and plan to keep it. Thank you!

alurid likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted