2006 Kennedy half Satin Finish vs Regular Strike

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dough, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Dough

Dough My brain is open

I came across this unbelievably clean 2006-P Kennedy in a Mint wrapped roll. So unbelievable that PCGS labeled it a satin finish. Aside from the surface texture, is there a design element or diagnostic that differentiates the two?

I noticed the die cracks at the top of the head and bottom of the neck are also on the PCGS plate coins for the regular strike. Are these found on the satin finish?

hair.jpg 2006 Kennedy neck.jpg 2006 Kennedy Compare - 3.jpg

Attached Files:

Noah Finney likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

4. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

I don't know the answer to your question, but would like to know the grade. Nice coin!!!!

5. Dough

Dough My brain is open

I know the satin and regular strike production processes used different die preparation, presses and pressure. But did they use different dies? Could the die cracks seen on this coin be the result of a mint set press die getting transferred to the bag and roll production line?

Rolls:
    These rolls feature Kennedy half-dollars in circulating quality and are struck on our main production floors at the United States Mint at Philadelphia and Denver .

Unc Mint Sets:
    Uncirculated coins are minted on special presses and struck with greater force than circulating coins.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Probably due to over use, but truly, I don't know. Die cracks usually show up after a die has out lived its' usefulness.......

7. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

My answer, IDK IDK IDK IDK IDK IDK IDK IDK IDK IDK IDK IDK. Phew a lot of IDKS LOL

8. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I can see why they labeled it Satin finish. It certainly has the look.

9. Dough

Dough My brain is open

Same photography setup for comparison.

2006 Kennedy Compare - 1.jpg 2006 Kennedy Compare - 3.jpg

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

From the best I can tell they go by the finished product look of the coin. There very likely is some crossover from some getting a satin that weren't in a mint set and some of the mint sets getting MS, but as far as I can tell they just go by the finished products look.

furham likes this.
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

As far as I know, NO. It may be that this was a coin rejected for the satin finish mint sets due to the die crack and they just dumped it in with the bag and roll coins. Could also be an "overrun" that wasn't needed for the mint sets.

Draft saved Draft deleted