2006 Ase

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by walterallen, Feb 17, 2006.

1. walterallen

walterallen Coin Collector

I am a avid collector of both the uncirculated and proof ASEs. My problem is that I can't seem to locate any 2006 uncirculated ASEs that DON'T have very small spots where the "satin" finish, or what ever you want to call it, has been touched away or not produced.
    A coin dealer tried to tell me that it's because these are "first strike" and the dies have not worn enough to not make these "imperfections".
    Does anyone else buy this explaination or know what is up with these dots? I'm starting to believe that what I'm seeing are coins that sellers are tring to unload to the public because the sellers know that these coins will never even make MS69 grade or higher, that they are having the good coins graded and slabbed so that they can charge the high dollar.:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I certainly don't agree with the coin dealer. We had a discussion about this not too long ago, most seemed to think the spots were the result of die wear or small flaws in the die. I think it is the result of one coin touching or rubbing another when they are placed in the tubes. But any way ya wanna look at it - the spots are flaws.

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The dealers are full of it. If the satin finish is missing in spots it is because of one of two reason, ither small scape marks from coin to coin contact or mishandling, or two the die is starting to wear and it is losing the satin finish. If the "spots are shiny then it is contact. If they are just dull but still show luster then they are probably die wear. The satin finish is not real durable so from time to time the mint has to refresh it by striking an eagle through a layer of fine emory cloth

5. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I have just gotten my ASE in from a dealer I got it from....a NGC MS69....these also have the spots that I've talked about before...it seems to me that if these coins are poping up everywhere around the US (KY/TN/SC) that it is more than than just mishandling.

Speedy

6. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

Spots

My 06 ASE also has spots. I mail ordered mine so I haven't looked at any others yet, but it sounds pretty common. Mine looks like contact marks but I have't looked at it under a glass yet. I have one more coming I'll have to check it when it shows up.

7. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

From the looks of the marks and the fact that they are in the same places everytime I've seen...I feel that it has something to do with the dies or planchets....if they were just from being put in the rolls the marks wouldn't be in the same place of all of the coins I've seen from many states.

Speedy

8. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

With all due respect, you are not getting a lesser coin by buying one of these. Theyt are bullion coins, business strikes. If you want a perfect coin, then pay extra for a 69 or 70. Some people think that 69 or 70 is reasonable to expect for an average, bullion-priced SE. I do not think this is resonable.

9. silver surfer

silver surfer Senior Member

I'll bet the average grade for an AGE is more like 67,68
    Personally i don't get all the hoopla about high grade modern issue bullion coins.
    I have a small hoard of AGE's that i bought for the intrinsic value.

10. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

The last 9 a s e I received are just beautiful coins. I think it is all about the dealer you are working with. I have yet to receive a bad coin from PAUL SIMS. It's all about costumer service my coins grade about ms67 or 68 . I do not know how many coins his people look at befor they send me mine , but they do take the
    time. Even my local dealer that I stop by and see twice a week takes the time to give me his best .Repeat
    business that is what your dealer is looking for and that is what I an looking for.

11. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Cans omeone post an image of what your talking about?

12. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I agree with Speedy on this one. Every coin I purchased has the same marks in the same places.

Draft saved Draft deleted