2006 $1 Under inked?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dan Burby, May 17, 2015.

1. Dan Burby

Dan Burby New Member

Is it possible to tell from photos, or these photos specifically, if this is indeed heavily under inked, simply worn, or tampered with? The lightness of the main design features is only present on the face of the note.
    underink-1.png underink-2.png underink-3.png underink-4.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Davidschwager

Davidschwager Member

It may have gone through the washing machine.

4. panther

panther Junior Member

yup

5. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

But then why would the second printing be so vivid compared to the first printing?

6. Davidschwager

Davidschwager Member

The BEP puts more ink into the overprint (the serial numbers and seal) than the face and back printings. Looking through a fresh pack, for example, two or three of the 100 will have minor smearing of the overprint because of the heavy inking.

vdbpenny1995 likes this.
  7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Clearly our currency is marked "Dry clean only"

8. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Not necessarily *more* ink, but *different* ink. The intaglio printing uses very thick ink that sits above the paper in ridges and doesn't soak in. Therefore physical abrasion, as in the suggested washing machine, can more easily flake it off the paper. The serials and seals are ordinary surface printing, so they're going to be a lot less affected by that sort of thing.

9. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

I would say it's a genuine under inking error. Numbers is right about the type of ink used. However if the second printing is faded from the wash, we would expect to see the same effect on the reverse. Due to the condition, I wouldn't advise getting it graded/authenticated. The added cost will offset most of any potential profit if it were to come back as a genuine error.

10. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

Things are different when you look at them...through the washing machine.
    (Thumbs up if you catch the Alice in Wonderland joke, if you do I will give you a digital box of Kaboom cereal)

Dan Burby likes this.
  11. Dan Burby

Dan Burby New Member

Rabbit holes, bank notes, and washing machines; oh my!

12. Dan Burby

Dan Burby New Member

Here are a few more images. They may be more useful. The reverse *is* light, though from typical wear, and appears to have been inked normally. Thanks so much for all the responses!
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

13. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

I promised you a Kaboom, and here it is.
    kaboom.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted