2006 $1 Mismatched serial number

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Night Hawk, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Night Hawk

Night Hawk Junior Member

Pulled this from a pack of one's this morning, my first mismatched serial number find.

[​IMG]

Shoewrecky, mikenoodle, g1rge and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

And it's a star note!

4. JohnV

JohnV Active Member

Congrats! Get it certified. They're worth hundreds of dollars and since it's a star note it might be worth over a thousand.

5. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

Congrats, and quick question. Can only the first number of a serial number be mismatched? Cause when I USED to look at them I looked at the whole 8 serial numbers.

6. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Magnificent find! I remember seeing one other 2006 series. I'm curious as to how many made it into circulation.

Numbers... that's you're queue.

Frederick Bart's book has a 1988-A $1 FRN star note mismatched serial listed at $1,000 in Fine. It looks better than Fine... maybe VF20. The tear is going to hurt it's value, but graded or not - you just hit the jackpot.

When I get a strap to search, this is the note I can only hope to find. Nice work.

Now tell us... how many straps have you looked through before finding this one?

jester3681 and Night Hawk like this.
  7. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Any character can produce a mismatch. They often occur in the middle. It's just a matter of someone setting the numbering wheel improperly, or it getting stuck during the printing process. I believe it's more common in the middle because of how notes on a sheet are numbered.

I don't mean to diminish the OP's post with this in any way, but even the block letter or a charter number can mismatch.

mismatch.jpg

Night Hawk likes this.
  8. Night Hawk

Night Hawk Junior Member

The estimate is no more then 10,000 made it into circulation.

http://www.uspapermoney.info/serials/f2006_s.html

These notes have traded in the $700-$1000 range depending on condition, with the tear I'd have to guess $400-$600 depending on how bad someone wanted it.

As far as how many bill's I've gone through..... way, way to many...lol

I enter and mark bills at www.wheresgeorge.com, I just entered my 199,000th bill the other day. :D

I have a couple of of stores where I where I swap marked bill's for unmarked bill's (that's how I've been able to enter so many) It's normal for me to go through 50-100 bills a day.

And I'm still torn over selling it or keeping it......

9. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

You are one of THEM, eh? :mad:

jester3681 likes this.
  10. Night Hawk

Night Hawk Junior Member

Yep, one of them. One of those who've saved countless collectable bills from circulating to death... ;)

Including this one......

jester3681 likes this.
  11. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Nice note, but will grade Red, damaged

NOS likes this.
  12. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Nobody grades Red anymore.

13. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Is it just the photograph or does the left side look to be nicer than the right?

14. Rick Stachowski

pcgs currency will grade it, just will be red, not green, thats all

15. Rick Stachowski

its in really bad shape, thats for sure, looks at georges face

16. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Sure, but look at THE and the end of AMERICA and the scroll pattern above those, Sharper on the left.

17. Rick Stachowski

I'd say, just light blur, thats all

18. Night Hawk

Night Hawk Junior Member

It's just the lighting, I can post another photo when I get home tonight.

19. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

After reading this post I went to my local F.C.U. and asked about the new $5.00 Lew bills and If they had any star notes. They ( the other teller also) looked at me and said what is a star. So I had a teaching moment. I explained about 32 position sheets of bills and when a mistake happens they take out the complete sheet and replace it with a "*" sheet. Then they told me about what they found. Then I gave them both my card saying I'm a collector researcher of national currency and my friend and I buy silver. So they received the 50 cents lesson. :):):)

20. Rick Stachowski

or, now the tellers are going to be looking for star notes, true story, I was cashing a check at my bank, we (me and the teller) noticed a 1950-D fifty dollar star note, and we (me and the teller) fought for it, I won the fight, and sold it for 300.00 dollars, graded, green xf-25, and it was a fight

NOS likes this.
  21. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

PCGS hasn't used red holders for Apparent notes since 2007. The red holders were too much of a "red flag" for buyers, hurting resale value on otherwise unremarkable notes, and it was discontinued.

Draft saved Draft deleted