2005 p West Virginia quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Ruthlankford68, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Ruthlankford68

Ruthlankford68 Active Member

I just got these from a coin roll that had all the same quarters. They said just got from bank. IMG_20200213_233659_5.jpg IMG_20200213_233612_6.jpg

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ruthlankford68

Came from a roll with all same quarters. Does this mean that if I put these up in something that protects the that they will be like me 60 something and as valuable as coin facts says? Because Ms 67 said over $2,000. IMG_20200213_233659_5.jpg IMG_20200213_233612_6.jpg

4. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only one getting 10-15 y/o rolls of BU Quarters from the bank.:)

5. Ruthlankford68

6. Ruthlankford68

Is it bulk uncirculated?

7. Ruthlankford68

On coin facts it says that a Ms 67 is worth over 2,000. Is this a Ms quarter?

8. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

BU=Brilliant Uncirculated. They rarely use that term anymore. Now it's MS-Mint State.
    If a 2005 West Virginia Quarter, MS 67, sold for $2,000 there had to be something special about the coin. You can buy MS 68 West Va. Quarters on eBay for less than $20. Your coin appears to be MS but I couldn't give it a grade number from just a photo.
    MS grades go from MS 60 to MS 70.

9. Ruthlankford68

Ok. Just proud that I have a Ms anything! It's a start.

spirityoda and thomas mozzillo like this.
  10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I am guessing no. There are to many minted. Wait for more opinions...

11. Ruthlankford68

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No. I don't think so.

Inspector43 likes this.
  13. Ruthlankford68

14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

15. Ruthlankford68

16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

MS67 only counts if it's certified by a top-tier TPG (third-party grading service) like PCGS or NGC. For modern business strike coins, let's say hypothetically that it's literally one in a million, if not one in ten million, that makes the top grade at a TPG.

Your chances of making an MS67 are infinitesimally small. Despite the blurriness of the photo I can see marks on that coin which would hold it down to no better than MS63 or so.

OK, so let's hypothetically say you did pay your money and sent your coin off for professional grading and actually got a condition-census rarity like an MS67 in a series where such grades are seldom seen. You're still not necessarily going to get the big payday. Those priceguides are wildly inflated and need to be taken with an enormous grain of salt, especially for modern coins.

Chuck_A and Inspector43 like this.
  17. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I can't see where this is a 2005 W. What am I looking for?

18. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

2005 West Virginia. W for West.

19. Inspector43

I've never heard them refereed to that way. And, it doesn't make sense with the "W" Mint coins floating around out there. Thanks for the clarification.

20. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

spend it

Inspector43 likes this.
  21. Inspector43

IMO These coins will be worth very little years down the road. When the mint stops making these long runs of quarters and gold dollars the price will go up slightly and then taper off as new hot potatoes start flooding the market. There are 5 different quarters per year, from 4 different mints, in several grades. That is a bunch of coins all too many of them are sold at a premium. Same thing with the gold dollars. Don't count on any of them going up substantially.

Draft saved Draft deleted