2005 Kennedy Silver Proof Error???

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by 2b1ask1, Aug 19, 2005.

1. 2b1ask1

2b1ask1 Senior Member

The photos are not great but can anyone tell me what kind of error this is if any. It appears to me as some kind of doubling on almost all of the lettering, numbers and mint mark.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

The split serifs on the G suggest that this is a doubled die variety. In this era of the single hubbing process, such doubling is thought to be caused by a slight shift or settling of the hub or working die during the hubbing procedure. While such varieties don't excite me, there is a strong market for them that can push such a coin well into three figures. This may well be a new discovery. You might want to send it to Coin World or a die variety expert like Ken Potter.

4. 2b1ask1

2b1ask1 Senior Member

I've never sent anything to be checked before. A little leary I guess and don't really know how to go about it. Thanks for your reply. I think I just needed someone else to see what I thought I saw.

5. atrox001

atrox001 Senior Member

I agree with Mike Diamond the G does suggest this half might be a doubled die variety. I don't believe there has been any reports for doubled dies, since the single hubbing process was started, for the Kennedy series, only Lincoln Cents and Jefferson Nickels. This half dollar should be reported for the benifit of the die variety hobby. If you aren't interested in having it attributed and verified, you need to get it to someone who will. Ken Potter would be an excellent choice.

Larry Nienaber

6. atrox001

atrox001 Senior Member

2b1ask1...Could you post more photos of this 2005 Silver Proof half, especally TRUST, and the mint mark?

Thank You,
    Larry Nienaber

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If you do wish to send it in - you may wish to start by emailing pics of the coin. You can try contacting CONECA - Click Here Or you can contact Ken Potter as suggested - Click Here Or you can contact Collector's Clearinghouse at Coin World by email - cweditor@coinworld.com

8. 2b1ask1

2b1ask1 Senior Member

I went to the CONECA site and e-mailed Mike Ellis. He was listed for US coins. He returned my e-mail and I sent him some pictures today. The more I look at this coin the more I feel that is is machine doubling especially the L in LIBERTY. These are some more pictures. Sorry about the photography. I am not much good at it. I don't have a micro camera so I use my macro while holding a 20mm telescope lense in front of it. Gotta do with what I got.

Attached Files:

9. atrox001

atrox001 Senior Member

2b1ask1...Thanks for the additional photos. Sometimes photos can be misleading when trying to attribute these doubled dies. It does look like there is some mechanical doubling on this half, especally the L, but the bottom of the mintmark, the notching on the top of the G, and it looks like something going on with the bottom leg of the R in TRUST, all look like die doubling. I think this half would be better attributed in person. Billy Crawford (dievarieties@sc.rr.com) was the first to discover and list doubled dies from the new single hubbing process for the lincoln cent. Maybe you should run this by him?

10. Morgan

Morgan New Member

2b1ask1-

In my opnion you have a legitimate die doubling error. The split seriffs and the doubled iamge are not the type commonly see with machine doubling. Machine doubling produces a flat low profile double which looks as if the die strick the coin and before the die was lifted the die was rotated. This gives the lettering the appaerance of being sheared off. Take a look at my Avatar for an example.

11. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

Guess I'm gonna have to go back and double check my 2005 silver sets. If I find doubling on one, I might just have to steal your thunder and send it in to Coinworld :p
    (j/k)

At any rate, cool find and thanks for sharing :)

12. 2b1ask1

2b1ask1 Senior Member

Mike Ellis of CONECA wrote and asked that the coin be sent to him. I'm going to send it out Saturday and hope for good news. Better to know one way or the other I guess than to set and wonder. I'll post either way when I get an answer. Thanks for all the input and direction from everyone.

13. 2b1ask1

2b1ask1 Senior Member

This 2005 silver proof came back from Mike Ellis of CONECA as strike doubling. Oh well guess I'll keep looking. Might get lucky next time.

Draft saved Draft deleted