2005 D Quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Sassy, Jul 25, 2016.

1. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It could still be a Retained Dropped Element.

Chris

Sassy and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

interesting

4. cpm9ball

dwhiz likes this.
  5. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

I think it's just a Ding.

dwhiz likes this.
  6. Sassy

Sassy Member

Could it still be a dropped element with offending material retained or remaining?

7. Sassy

Sassy Member

Sorry I missed this posting. I appreciate your oppinion.

8. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

Actually a dropped element is composed of grease and dust and metal shavings and any other particles that happen to be floating around the mint. The bonding agent for it all is the grease so even though it becomes hard packed, enough so to leave an impression in the coins surface when struck, it is obliterated during the striking of one coin. There is actually no such thing as a retained dropped element

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

You're wrong! Alan Herbert, in his book, Official Price Guide to Mint Errors, 6th Edition, shows an example of a Retained Dropped Element on page 257.

Chris

10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Interesting. What would it look like then? Incused or raised above the field? Which letter or numeral does he show? And is it compared to other elements of that coin?

11. cpm9ball

It is the letter "B" from PLURIBUS embedded just above the right side of the top of the Memorial. It's difficult to tell if it is raised or flush with the surface of the field, but Alan specifically states that it is retained.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "is it compared to other elements of that coin".

Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I had a long tiring day. I asked the question 2 different ways. Same as which letter or numeral.

13. cpm9ball

Gotcha!

Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

From what I had read on this type of error I guess this proves I'm not dead yet because you learn something new every day. Many thanks

Sassy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted