2005 D Lincoln Cent error!!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by strinutah35, Jun 17, 2014.

1. strinutah35

strinutah35 New Member

Let me know what you think! I am still amazed!! All lettering is raised, even on the mirror image!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Sorry to say it's glue from another coin being stuck to it. Not a mint error.

Jim M likes this.
  4. Bayern1900

Bayern1900 Member

Post mint damage

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  5. strinutah35

strinutah35 New Member

Not possible.. If another coin was stuck to it, then why are the mirror image letter raised?? That wouldnt happen if it was just one coin stuck to another.

6. strinutah35

strinutah35 New Member

And not just the letters, but the Memorial is raised too.. This is definetly NOT a glue job...

7. non_cents

Let's put it this way. There is no event during the minting process that could have resulted in the coin you see.
    It looks raised because the design is embedded in glue, and the glue is attached to the surface of the coin.

8. strinutah35

strinutah35 New Member

Weird.. I looked at other pictures of glue jobs on coins and it looks nothing like this one..

9. non_cents

strinutah35 likes this.
  10. strinutah35

strinutah35 New Member

I see.. well I will try the acetone thing and see what happens.. Thank you very much.. :)

non_cents likes this.
  11. strinutah35

strinutah35 New Member

Ok... put in acetone for 3 hours.. nothing!! Stayed on!

12. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I agree with the others that said glue , this is definitely glue on your coin. some types of glue will not come off easily even with acetone. don't feel bad,a lot of people get's tricked with dried glue and other gook on coins.

13. strinutah35

strinutah35 New Member

Here are some better pics.

Attached Files:

14. strinutah35

strinutah35 New Member

Another pic

Attached Files:

15. Bayern1900

Bayern1900 Member

It has a mirror image......PMD....

16. strinutah35

strinutah35 New Member

Well I wish you guys could see it in person.. then you would be flabbergasted! NOT GLUE! Tested positive for copper and iron. Took it to lab at local college and they said its definitely not glue or any other adhesive. Its the clad and its

17. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

the lab told you wrong , this is glue . I have seen this hundreds of times on coins I find and coins on this forum with the glue on them. some folks even swears it is not glue and later on they always find out it is glue. one guy on this forum was so convinced he had a awesome error he sent the coin to a error expert to only find out it was glue. why are you only showing one side of this coin ?

18. non_cents

Not sure how many times it's worth saying...but this coin COULD NOT have come from the mint like that. The first indicator is the mirrored lettering. The only other error I can think of with mirrored lettering would be a brockage, and that would completely destroy the underlying design.

And second is the odd appearance of extra material on the coin. If it is an error, how can we possibly see through the strike to the underlying design? That doesn't make sense. It looks like a translucent material imbedded on the coin.

19. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Fine.

Soak it in Acetone or water and report back the results.

20. non_cents

Uh, unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure post-1982 cents are made out of 97.5% zinc with a 2.5% copper plating, no iron. I don't think the lab is correct if they told you it was copper and iron.

21. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Die clashes manifest mirror lettering. If this was from clash it would have to also be rotated.

Draft saved Draft deleted