2005 cent what's up with this please? Scratches or something.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by John Burgess, Jul 14, 2019.

1. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

HI. Curious on what's going on here and would like an opinion. I'm thinking die scratches/abrasions. It's on both sides of the coin and it seems fully struck yet the abrasions are on the fields and on the devices also like Lincoln's cheek, neck and jacket shoulder and the steps on the reverse. I've had it set aside since 2005 and just came across it again and thought I'd ask about it. I mean if it were PMD I think it would have gouged the copper plating and exposed the zinc, so either it was a really scratched up planchet before striking or a really abraided die pair? Either way wouldn't that be pre-strike?

I'm not sure what to make of it and would like opinions and thoughts on it please. Thank you. IMG_2019-07-14_13-09-19-ccfopt.jpg IMG_2019-07-14_13-09-56-ccfopt.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I think it's a plating issue .. I forget the term off the top of my head.
    Edit: Linear Plating Blisters

But, for instance, if it was from die polishing it would not go into the deeper sections of the die. You see the lines across the letters, and designs. It's fairly evident on the reverse in STATES OF AMERICA and EPU and the Memorial (look at the steps and everything else).

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Your coin has what is called Linear Plating Blisters. It is caused by impurities reacting with the zinc under the plating.

5. John Burgess

Seems odd for bubbles or blisters to be incused into the surface of the coin... I think they would be raised spots not grooves.

I was looking at die striations as most likely or a over polishing issue of the planchet maybe.

A entire cent covered obverse and reverse with incused linear plating blisters only the highest points don't show them. I'll look into that. Thank you both.

6. Clawcoins

your cent also has Split Plating. It's more visible in the columns area - look on the right side of the columns, you can see silver streaks from the plating splitting and exposing the zinc underneath.
    upload_2019-7-14_21-40-32.png

and there's a large section of a plating blister in the stairs
    upload_2019-7-14_21-44-59.png

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The images make them look raised.

8. Clawcoins

(a) I refer to die polishing above. But it is consist lines even in the depths of the die letters, etc.
    (b) they don't polish planchets

(c) they all look raised to me.

9. John Burgess

I dunno. I don't think see what you are seeing in person or with magnification about split plating on column or stairs. Reflections maybe? At this point thinking I need a professional photographer. Lol IMG_2019-07-14_21-51-10.jpg IMG_2019-07-14_22-08-51.jpg IMG_2019-07-14_22-11-10.jpg

10. John Burgess

Anyways I'll take your opinions that it's linear plate bubbling and look into it more. Thanks.

11. Clawcoins

Linear Plating Blisters (not Bubbles)

Yes, accurate images (lighting and focus) are the utmost importance in accurate results and feedback. Many times one can determine the location, angle, intensity, color etc of the lighting.

For instance a few items:
    - you can see the shadow on the top below the rim. There is no shadow on the bottom inside rim, but a reflection. This identifies a single light source positioned above at an angle to the coin allowing a shadow at the upper inside rim.
    - the inside right of the M in America shows blow out highlights, or too much light reflection. Showing an undiffused light source. You can also see the light falloff on the lower part of the cent. You can see more blown out on the A & last S of States, and varying degrees of reflection all over.
    - on the top part of the middle columns you see heavy shadows, and less shadows going to left/right. you can even see shadows in UNUM. Thus identifying the intensity of the light source.
    - of course you have to add into this the location of the sensor.
    - but you can see the white streaks to the right of the columns, and with the seemingly undiffused small intense bulb (LED?) light source from above at a steep angle one makes one think it's split plating, although it doesn't seem to exist elsewhere.
    intense, shadow lighting is good for some dramatic person portraits, not so much for coins.
    upload_2019-7-14_22-28-24.png

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  12. John Burgess

This picture was daylight coming from the south facing window at 11am today at roughly the 9-10 o'clock position on the coin and a 100 watt incadescent bulb directly overhead. Background should appear as violet although I must admit it seems to appear brownish.
    Actually I think the bottom darkness is the shadow of the phone on the little stand from the overhead light.

I'm not a photographer and pretty new to it in general. It's not necessarily a hobby of mine. :D
    I tried really hard though.

Draft saved Draft deleted