2005 California Quarter Unknown Error Discovery or die deteriation? Please Help Me!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by penidave, Sep 11, 2009.

1. penidave

penidave PennyGirl

Please help me figure this out. I recently found a 2005 California Quarter with beautiful, what appears to be, DDR. The coin is also oddly colored on the reverse. Almost like the silver plating wasn't thick enough so the copper shows through throughout the entire reverse side. The coin has what appears to be distinctive doubling on the face, down the arm, on the hand, on the bird tail and completely throughout the name "John Muir". I have included two pictures of the face. I have pictures of all doubling if needed to help you help me figure this out. I am a newbie at errors so I am unsure if this is a one of kind discovery. I searched and searched the interenet and have not found any like mine. Not even close. Please take a moment and help me. Thanks sooo much for your time. Penny
    :desk:

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

1st Welcome

To Cointalk!

Can you post a larger photo???

4. penidave

penidave PennyGirl

ok, I will try right away... brb..
    I'm still trying to figure this site out.. :) Please please pretty please bare with me..

5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

no big rush talk your time.

6. penidave

penidave PennyGirl

I hope these are better.

Attached Files:

7. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Can you post one like this??

Attached Files:

8. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Welcome to the forum penidave. It looks like machine doubling damage on that quarter.

9. penidave

penidave PennyGirl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope this is better. Not sure why they're coming out so small. They're 225 KB... figures! lol

10. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

11. penidave

penidave PennyGirl

Hey Rockdude,
    Thank you for your help.... Here's a pic of the wing part too. Maybe that will help a bit
    As you can see it appears under the wing and on the tail as well. It really looks cool... :)

Attached Files:

12. penidave

penidave PennyGirl

thank you. do MMD's hold any value at all?

13. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Some people like them and even sell them as Doubled Die's on e-bay, however they are considered damage by many including the mint.

14. penidave

penidave PennyGirl

Ok, one more quick question before I go breathe in a paper bag to deal with my bad luck (kidding of course)... does the coloring hold any type of value? it's plating is unusual...
    Here's a pic. comparing it to a regular plated coin

Attached Files:

15. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

No one just circulated more than the other.

16. penidave

penidave PennyGirl

Look above at photos of the coin close up... the copper is showing through and this only appears this way on the reverse side of it. How can one side be extremely circulated and the obverse side be next to mint? lol.... geez this quarter is going to be the death of me! I'm gonna stick it in a coke machine and be done with it...

17. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Hi,

The coloring is just due to some circulation of the coin.

As mentioned the doubling is machine doubling, and does not command a premium. I'll say it without dancing around it:) since it was mentioned.

Only sellers who don't know what they are looking at will list these on eBay as doubled dies. They either don't know what they have, or they are being deceptive. Either way, the buyer loses:) If someone wants to collect machine doubled coins, that's up to them but why pay for them on eBay when you can find them in rolls of coins.

Thanks,
    Bill

18. penidave

penidave PennyGirl

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for your response. I am still confused on the coloring of the coin. The reverse side is the ONLY side with the copper mixed coloring. The obverse side of this same coin is next to mint. How can only one side of a coin be so circulated? I believe it is a plating error on the reverse side. I just don't know what it's called. I have close up pictures of the reverse where you can see the copper plainly showing throughout. In hand the coin is obviously flawed on the reverse side due to the plating but the front is next to mint. It is beyond me how only the reverse side of a coin could get this way on the reverse without affecting the obverse at all. I get worn coins everyday in pocket change and this is definitely the first time I've seen this.

19. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

I guess I should be more detailed in my responses. No more dancing chickendance.gif

20. penidave

penidave PennyGirl

weird. i guess i could always sell the coin at a seriously worn coin on reverse side only. mint on the obverse. closed case. lol

21. Frank Patino

Frank Patino New Member

I found doubling in the letters in the 2005 California quarter In God we trust. Big time doubling not Machine doubling.:rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted