2004p Dime No Reeding Error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Ru₩€, May 29, 2016.

1. Ru₩€

Ru₩€ New Member

I have this Dime I found in a roll. It has no Reeding at all. Much help would be appreciated My gut says error coin, but I don't know i have done a quick interweb search and have found nothing like it. I'm sure the Pros here could help me out. The Dime weighs in at 2.2 grams. I know how you guys are about pics. Hope these are good enough. Many Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

Reeding on coins is imparted by the retaining collar used when striking them. This collar acts as the "third die," holding the coin in place and allowing for a better strike.

There's no way that a dime can leave the mint with the design properly struck and no reeding. What you have here looks like a "dryer coin": a coin that got stuck in a dryer for a while and tumbled about, smoothing out the edge. In other words, not an error (Post Mint Damage/PMD).

Ru₩€ likes this.
  4. Ru₩€

Ru₩€ New Member

thanks for the reply. I thought that, but how does that explain the ridge in the middle of the rim or even the striations of nickel you can see. Wouldn't a dryer coin be smooth all the way around?

5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I think someone was being very clever with this coin removing the reeding.

Ru₩€ likes this.
  6. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

It does look like its been machined.

Ru₩€ and Seattlite86 like this.
  7. Ru₩€

Ru₩€ New Member

I'm not trying to be ignorant, but could you show me an example of what you mean?. I see no evidence of pmd. I understand it's supposed to be impossible to be struck without reeds. I'm not writing it off as a dryer coin and need to understand what you mean by machining on this coin. Thanks.

8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I agree, it couldn't be a dryer coin. If you look at the year 2004, it looks like something might have clamped down in that area to allow someone to use a drill/sander to smooth out the edges.

9. Ru₩€

Ru₩€ New Member

Have you enlarged the rim pics to take a closer look? There is no way someone sanded or ground those edges down. Take a look you'll see what I mean .

10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I have to disagree with "there's no way." Any decent machinist, with a machinist's dexterity, could do that by hand with a file, much less by machine. Clamped between leather in a vise, I could Dremel that (well, I'd use the Roto-Zip :) ) in five minutes.

The salient point is, though, we know beyond doubt that a Mint process could not have created this feature. Therefore, some likely-unprovable postmint process did so, and as hard as we speculate we'll likely never know the truth.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. Angie Keith

Angie Keith New Member

12. Angie Keith

Angie Keith New Member

I have a dime the same way. My dime is 1997 D or 1987 D. The date isn't completely visible.

Draft saved Draft deleted