2004 Wisconsin Extra Leaf Quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JPAUL, Aug 18, 2012.

1. JPAUL

JPAUL Member

Hey guys i just found this quarter i think it's the high leaf type. 2004 Reverse 1.jpg 2004 Reverse 2.jpg 2004 Obverse.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Looks like it to me! Congrats on the find.

4. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

It is a high leaf, nice find!

5. VDBforDave

VDBforDave Lincoln Error Collector

Nice! Man I want to find one so bad!
    Did you get it searching pocket change?

6. JPAUL

JPAUL Member

I found it in a roll of quarters.

7. VDBforDave

VDBforDave Lincoln Error Collector

:hail:Booyah!:hail:

8. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

OMG! Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have always wanted to find one and always look at my Wisconsin quarters that I get in change. Congrats on doing something which I thought was impossible!!!

PS - after years of not finding one, I finally bought one of those three quarter sets that are often found on ebay and such. It was a MS65 set. I really like it and it was worth the $$$ I paid for it.

9. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I guess I could just search it out, but I have you experts around for that. I don't really do modern coins, so, what is this variety and what is it worth?

10. roll searcher

roll searcher coin hunter

anyone have any idea how many of these were made?

11. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

http://www.us-coin-values-advisor.com/state-quarter-errors.html#Wisconsin

THis may help. Scroll half way down the page and the info you are looking for should be there. Easier to post link than to type everything out.

As far as mintage, read the article. It mentions estimated mintages.

12. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Thanks for the info, I learned something today.

13. SteveCaruso

SteveCaruso Counterfeit Collector

Aye the "Extra Leaf" varieties are examples of very well-placed die gouges (like the "Speared Buffalo" and "Wounded Eagle"). Gouges happen all the time, but when they fall somewhere interesting and novel, they're worth a good premium.

14. ML94539

ML94539 Senior Member

In the August 2007 issue of The Numismatist, the official publication of theAmerican Numismatic Association, collector Chris Pilliod, who is a metallurgist by profession, published the results of a scientific investigation into the cause of the extra leaves. The evidence he gathered, much of it through scanning electron microscopy, led him to conclude the "error" was done intentionally. The window of opportunity was the time between die hubbing and final heat treat, when the die metal is soft enough that someone can alter the design with a punch tool and hammer. High magnification revealed metal flow evidence consistent with theory, while eliminating other possible causes.

15. SteveCaruso

SteveCaruso Counterfeit Collector

Yeah, or the dies could have simply been dropped. :)

I'm rather skeptical of Pilliod's conclusions as they're not the sharpest under Occam's Razor.

16. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this one . We all know these are only die gouges and they can try to hype them up all they want to and it will still only be a die gouge regardless of how it got there. die gouges and big die breaks can be found on a lot of our newer coins.

17. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Great find! I really need to start looking at my change better.

From that link jaceravone posted, for the lazy:

"Near the crescendo of the frenzy, certain individual coins were selling for as high as $1500.
    After a few thousand of the coins were found, prices cooled off, but still, a collector can expect to pay hundreds of dollars on eBay for an Uncirculated Wisconsin State Quarter error coin."

18. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

When the price of these get's down to around 10.00 I may consider putting one in my collection.

19. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Great find!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted