2004 penny without mint mark?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by hiimnew, Feb 24, 2005.

1. hiimnew

hiimnew New Member

hi im new. i came across a 2004 penny without a mint mark while i was shopping at office depot today. i wasnt sure how i was going to find out how much it's worth so i came here. i was also wondering if anyone knows if it might be a fake and how rare they occur. i will have pictures up soon. thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Hello hiimnew

Your cent is not fake nor is it an error coin,, Lincoln cents with out mint marks are from the philadelphia mint ,,

Welcome to the forum !!!

Rick

4. hiimnew

hiimnew New Member

ok. well i've been coin collecting before but kind of gave up due to how much i was spending versus how much i was earning. but i guess im back now. yea i was a bit confused about the mint mark thing. im from california and all the denver(or was it dallas) mint marks are all here and when i was looking to see if any more were like this, i didnt find any and thats what made me come to my conclusion. is philly doing this to any of their other coins?

new

5. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Not at the present time, cents are the only ones, the older coins though including proof coins ,will not have a mint mark that are from philly with the exception of the war nickels, 1942-1945 these will have a large P on the reverse above the dome of monticello.

Rick

6. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Yes I have also noticed how uncommon it is to find P mints here. Last year when I was on my penny extravaganza, I would get 50 rolls from a few banks on a Saturday and the most P mints of the new cents I would find would only be a around 3-4 and then on top of that the odds were they would be circulated.

7. hiimnew

hiimnew New Member

whats the difference of circulated and uncirculated. i thought it was if the coin has been spent or not as currency.

8. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Well if you are trying to assemble uncirculated rolls of the penny's as they come out each year it sure makes a difference! Making them for the D mint here is easy but with the P mint I have to buy them through auctions. I noticed that in the mid-west and places there is a very nice mix of mint marks but out here it is pretty isolated which makes sense since people have to bring them when they fly over here and what have you.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy hiimnew - Welcome to the Forum !!

A circulated coin is one that shows wear - and an uncirculated coin is one that does not show wear. It doesn't have anything to do with the coins being spent as money. You can find uncirculated coins in your pocket change.

10. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I thought that is what he may have meant but then I thought he may have been simply saying "whats it matter either way if they are circulated or not" since he is pretty new to collecting.

11. cmbdii

cmbdii New Member

I found a New Hampshire quarter that didnt appear to have a Mint mark. So I took it to a coin dealer, and he looked at it with about a 100X lens, and finally determined that it was scraped off, though there didn't appear to be any scrates just by looking at it with the naked eye.

12. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

That's very interesting either way if it was real or not... Could you post a scan??

13. hiimnew

hiimnew New Member

i wish someone would help me here
    http://www.cointalk.org/showthread.php?t=5075

if you dont know about it, its just that i need some advice from someone that has cleaned coins on what tools and what methods to use on cleaning. i also need to see what a typical cleaned coin looks like. thanks

14. terry ball

terry ball New Member

how much is a 2004 no mint penny worth and a close am thanks terry ball.

15. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

One cent, just a normal 2004 cent.

16. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

I am new also and have many questions. This is a great starter page. Tomorrow the new high relief US Mint Gold coin comes out. I am in charge of a small investment group and we are really interested in starting a gold coin portfolio. I have some personal coins I have kept over the years, a can full of 60s / 70's foreign from the service.
    Back on subject. As of now, we are worried about purchasing anything from an Individual, scary to think about how easy it would be to duplicate an old coin, or to drill out, then mill the inside of a large gold coin, fill with the proper weight and sell. It has to happen ! If there is a way to cheat, steal, manipulate, it is happening. Just like peoples 401K's (most think they are profiting and their account is being ran by a legit person who will work it in honesty) Nothing could be further from the truth and we have proven it over and over again.

Really back on subject, if we purchase 2, 4, 10 of these high relief gold coins. When they come- are they MS70 from the mint ? Are they actually worth the $1490.00 being sought by the mint, understanding that if Gold were to drop 25%, so would the value and price. That is not our goal. Our goal is the Recession / Low depression to hit circa 2022... "A Guess" of course, but considering the huge debt, the way the dollar has to lose value and the overall manipulation by the rich to bilk the poor. It has to happen sooner or later. You can not continue to run a stimulus program giving it all to the rich and the poor continue to make $20 an hour.

None of our group is in this threshold, thank God... But we by no means fall in the top 1%.

We really want gold, and coins seem to hold and or gain in value as time goes by. Considering the premium price of approx. $390.00 over the Oz. price of gold, would the coin retain that premium of gold double ? If gold went to $2200.00, would this very coin be that oz. price plus 390 ?

I look forward to many chats on the site... I will pull out my personal sooner or later and start checking values. Can't be much, then again, ya never know.
    Take Care,

brian

17. Andy stewart

Andy stewart New Member

Why won't it let me upload my pic

18. I have a one cent 2004 penny no mint and close AM.. Is this a rare or not? Please i need some more details.. Please help..

19. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

No, all 2004 business strikes are close AM.

20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

This thread is originally from 2005, resurrected in 2015 and again in 2017. Now after 3 years it's here once more.

Evan Saltis and Mike Davis like this.
  21. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Yeah, and there's nothing wrong with seeing an old thread resurrected on occasion...it's fun reading posts I had forgotten all about and made less than a month after joining the forum, as well as when I was still in high school.

Draft saved Draft deleted