2004 Mint Pack dime

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by GARY R COYIER, Oct 2, 2020.

1. GARY R COYIER

GARY R COYIER Well-Known Member

I got several Mint sets for 2004 P&D. This dime is from one pack. It looks to be missing the tops of letters on both sides, but also two lines on the "E" in America and on the "ON" in one. Grease filled letters and or die deterioration? Something else? DSCN2286.JPG DSCN2287.JPG DSCN2289.JPG DSCN2295.JPG DSCN2299.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

From a genuine U.S. Mint set in OGP or an after market set put together by just about anyone? I ask because this is showing some serious die deterioration which is not common in a sealed genuine U.S. Mint set.

4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Can you show the packaging?

Inspector43 and tommyc03 like this.
  5. GARY R COYIER

20200930_205817.jpg US Mint

Attached Files:

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. GARY R COYIER

This is dime still in pack. 20201002_121849.jpg

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Well, they (the Mint) was certainly having a bad day the day this was put together. At that time I would have asked for a replacement. Can't say for sure that part of it is grease filled but there is certainly a lot of die deterioration going on.

Inspector43 and GARY R COYIER like this.
  8. GARY R COYIER

Agree, another set had a penny with a nice "fingerprint stain". Keeps things interesting.

Inspector43 likes this.
  9. Clawcoins

I know you don't want to take it out of the packaging.
    But this shows why taking pictures of coins in packaging distorts things.
    Here in the yellow you can see the edge is bent out due to the plastic acting like a prism.
    upload_2020-10-2_13-36-24.png

the other image shows the area just fine.
    upload_2020-10-2_13-37-12.png

Attached Files:

10. GARY R COYIER

The top pics show it out of plastic. It's out! The top pics were taken by a better camera, the ones in pkg. were taken on my phone.

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Now that it is out of the package, is the coin within the standard weight? While it appears to be a badly worn die strike, it reminds me of a thin planchet strike, but not quite. Maybe others, like @Fred Weinberg, @paddyman98, @JCro57 or others could add comments.

GARY R COYIER likes this.
  12. Clawcoins

It appears that they took the last strike copies of dimes, instead of the first strikes.

I've never researched how they put together the standard mint sets. But it appears a boo-boo was done.

GARY R COYIER and tommyc03 like this.
  13. GARY R COYIER

On my scale it reads 2.3 grams?

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's a shame it was removed from the original government packaging.

15. GARY R COYIER

Why, is it a special error? Haven't seen an agreement on what it is?I have been careful when handling it. Thanks.

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

But now you can't prove it was in a mint set.

17. GARY R COYIER

I guess I am not that into the proving anything. Just got these sets more for the WI coin that came in the state coin set, Noticed these other coins. Will just keep as example of error if someone can tell me what caused this. (Trying to teach my grandson). Again Thanks

18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Is that scratch on the dime?

19. GARY R COYIER

Yes, it looks like a scratch to me. But as you can see it is there while still in pkg.Actually the whole dime looks finely scratched, Not a good coin from the mint.

Draft saved Draft deleted