2004 Lincoln Cent.... Major grease or PMD?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by zach24, Dec 22, 2011.

1. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

I found this roll-searching a while back and just rediscovered it. It is a 2004 Lincon Memorial cent with a good percentage of the details missing. My first thought was PMD but some parts of the design are perfectly intact... But then again, I've never seen this much grease on BOTH sides of a coin...

Your opinion is much appreciated!

And for your viewing:
    003.jpg 002.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

The rim is fully intact, so I don't think a belt sander is in effect here, I'm not quite sure though.

4. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Oh yes, that is a grease filled die coin right there. The mint employees didn't do a good job maintaining the die on that day. They're not worth too much but I keep stuff like this all the time.

5. rickyh211

rickyh211 Member

Looks like a coin from a washer.

6. NumisMatt

NumisMatt Searching for Cents

You also told me my 1968 cent was from a dryer in this previous post: http://www.cointalk.com/t196993/
    Now I must get this washer cent to go with my dryer cent for my pmd collection! hahaha

7. zach24

Might I add that the coin has a good amount of luster on the parts of the coin with full details... i.e. "Trust", the date, etc.

8. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Now just throw "GE" counterstamps on both of them and commission heritage to do a high profile auction for ya.

9. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

Thats a grease filled die right there. And a very very cool one at that.

10. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

It's definitely a greaser.

11. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

12. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I would have to declare it a filled die coin which is about the same thing as saying grease but something harder than grease was mixed in with the grease or the letters would still be mushy looking but visible. now what fun would this forum be if we all said the same thing. LOL

EDIT: nice coin you have here and thanks for showing it to us.

13. zach24

Thank you all for your opinions! I'll be sure to post any more cool coins I come across!

14. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Thats the right attitude , If you run across something you like let everyone see it. If it is good or no good we will try our best to identify what it is. Troy

15. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

Doesn't look like it's PMD

16. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

NICE GREASER! That is an excellent find....about as good as a greaser comes. :cool:

17. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

:smile great find, nice coin

18. Jackdel

Jackdel New Member

Sorry to bug you guys I was wondering if you could give me a idea.i have a Lincoln 2004 d penny it has his body missing but it's hard to explain it . I can't upload the pick so Mandy I could do it by email

19. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

This is an old thread.. Start a new thread. You need pictures. No e-mails allowed. Who is Mandy?

20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

More old threads. We've had a rash of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted