2004 Lewis & Clark

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by caristeele, Jun 26, 2019.

1. caristeele

caristeele Member

Hi All,

Just wanted to share this nickel I received as change. I LOVE the details of the ship and crew.
    IMG_2685.jpg IMG_2677.jpg

Spark1951, JeffC, flyers10 and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

IMG_20190626_082309372.jpg Westward journey nickels, I like them, just people don't seem to collect them.
    That ones actually called Keelboat.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    tmeyer and LA_Geezer like this.
  4. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow has bought a related coin cover on Fleabay. Pretty product. They made one for all the special nickels. Just one more addition to the Cat Hoard.

Autoturf and LA_Geezer like this.
  5. Autoturf

I purchased that Littleton full set bu for 99 cents off ebay, plus 3$ shipping, still unopened. just need the proofs or S mints.

6. MeowtheKitty

Hello Autoturf. Hmmmm? Meow was talking about this. Do you have some of these? Meow just bought some on the Fleabay. Keelboat.jpg

Tim Sweet, LA_Geezer and Autoturf like this.
  7. Autoturf

Yes, I posted a pic, I don't have the fancy cardboard and stamp however. ya I don't have the special covers.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I have about 18,000 of the entire series, 2004-2006 P&D, in uncirculated bags and rolls from the Mint and from the release ceremonies. I was also able to purchase nine dozen, 13-coin display cases from JP's Corner at about the same time. Since this case required the extra coins to display the three different obverses, I purchased nine rolls of proof coins off eBay showing the different views of Jefferson - looking left, partial face looking right and forward looking.

I still have six dozen completed that I have never tried to sell, and another 2-1/2 dozen that I have yet to finish. Now, that's what I call procrastination!

Chris:hilarious::woot::):smug::wacky:

flyers10, MeowtheKitty and Autoturf like this.
  9. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the few Westward nickels I have are all pulled from circulation and not in very good condition. Will have to add those fancy sets to my wish list, but put them on the back burner.

Autoturf likes this.
  10. Autoturf

I have to be careful, im one of them, buy because I don't have it kinda people. don't make me go on a shopping spree @MeowtheKitty lol

I do like shopping for coins.

Eric Babula and MeowtheKitty like this.
  11. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I especially like @MeowtheKitty 's First Day Cover I used to be a philatelist, and have kept things like a Mark Twain cover I bought in a gift shop in Hannibal, MO ~40+ years ago. This one would fit right in eventually!

I need to find the right 1924 SLQ first, though.

MeowtheKitty likes this.
  12. MeowtheKitty

Hoarding, a way of life.

Eric Babula and wxcoin like this.
  13. MeowtheKitty

Wow, total old school. A purrrrr to you sir!

Eric Babula likes this.
  14. MeowtheKitty

Meow recently bought the whole set of covers. 5 different nickel covers, and 1 of the golden dollar one with the same theme. They are very pretty. Hoarding, just feels good.

LA_Geezer and Autoturf like this.
  15. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

18000? Sounds like a poor mans version of the Redfield hoard.

16. MeowtheKitty

That's pronounced "fill lately ist" right? That word makes Meow's raspy tongue twist.

17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Maybe I should sell them all to someone like Littleton in about 50 years.

Wait! That would make me about 120 years old. Maybe I should submit all of them to ANACS and request a special insert for being the oldest submitter. Then sell all of them on FleaBay.

Chris:greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy:

ddddd and wxcoin like this.
  18. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Have them all slabbed and given a number and set number, for example, #1 of 18000, #2 of 18000, ..., #18000 of 18000. Someone will pay big bucks for the first one in the set. Others will want a sequence of slabs, and others will look at any slab in the set as a rarity with only 18000 available. Also, someone will want the highest graded from the lot so as to brag about having the top pop coin. I could go on and on but the ice is melting in my drink.

Mountain Man and Eric Babula like this.
  19. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Going back a century, here's how the mint observed Lewis and Clark in 1904 and 1905. For once the modern coin might be more attractive.

1905 Lewis & Clark O.jpg 1905 Lewis & Clark R.jpg

The mint also put out this set in 2004 which is quite nice.

Lewis & Clark 2004.jpg

JeffC, flyers10, ddddd and 3 others like this.
  20. MeowtheKitty

Wow, that is a nice set. What was it called? Meow would love to have one of those. But it does look quite pricey.

21. Autoturf

Some talk bad about Littleton coins, their expensive market wise (so don't buy directly from them) but they sell pretty good quality coins. for moderns at least you know if its sealed from Littleton when buying off ebay, you know what to expect. I don't buy that gold plated or colorized crap however. just other crap.

Yea that is a nice set JohnMIlton.

Draft saved Draft deleted