2004-D Wisconsin Quarter - high/low leaf

Discussion in 'Variety & Errors' started by GDJMSP, May 7, 2006.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Analysis Of The 2004-D Wisconsin Quarters With Die Gouges - by Ken Potter

" I've been following the posts on Rec.collecting.coins on the new 2004-D Wisconsin die damage error or variety quarters (call them what you want, error or variety makes little difference), and I agree with Tom DeLorey's earlier comments 100% (his comments are copied at the end of this post). I received a set a couple of days ago from Bill Fivaz for examination and they confirmed my worst fears. The coins represent nothing but trivial die gouges (or possibly the closely related die dent type of die damage).

They are prominent -- more so than average -- but they are NOT "extra leaves" by any stretch of the imagination. They are die gouges (or again, possibly die dents) with an estimated value of no more than $10 each by standards usually attached to such items. This value assumes that coins would have been promoted as what they are but as we can see they have not and as such we have seen what is generally considered a relatively minor flaw promoted up to being worth hundreds of dollars by using misleading nicknames."

2004-D Wisconsin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Draft saved Draft deleted